Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First time budget ecotec enhancements.

bretttwo

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 ecotec vu low class low power
Hello guys another nzer here that, doesn't know piss all about these cheap little wipits. I have a vu ute has a 4speed auto ecotec, first things first. Should I get some 3.45.1 gears or 3.53.1 . Don't know what gears the commo has but my intech falcon with 3.53.1 gears would eat 200clicks easy, this thing is tired by 160 180 max. Also I've been asking this question to people who have experience and I keep kinda getting flogged off. So I got length of my pipe single 2.5inch o.d one cat two mufflers. I would like to not go cat less. I am interested in the ve 3.6 calais 300kw factory tuned car. It runs a 2.25inch o.d pipe x 2 this works out to be like .30 or so off of 3inch.in my opinion a 3inch single pipe would be silly im only chasing cheap gain outsourcing parts from other holdens, and some new part where required. with same length I worked it out that I should get a piss all gain but should make it sound nicer. Not sure how I'll it work with the cat. Was thinking v8 and move it 20mill back or fwd whatever gets it close to the two header pipes. Then maybe two into one 3inch then quickly into the cat. With like 20cm of 3inch off the cat back into the twins get rid of the center muffler for two resonators. Down into two v8 ve mufflers. Main reason for thinking this mite work good is calais 3.6 factory tuned to 300kw. Figure that exhaust is very much tuned to a finer point. Definitely more open but not so much so that it suffers. I'm thinking back pressure aswell I won't be use no boost. My other part include the 25mm intake spacer. 12mm spacer think it's very old school way to force some extra air just rasing the intake.not the t.b spacer I think they mite be over kill, I just want her to have extra room to breathe, and be more responsive. I've been hunting high and low of the correct part and info on which vr vn or vs 5ltr v8 throttle works on the ecotec I believe they are bigger by 4 or 5 mm ecotec is 60mm? . Ive seen the 69mm that mace does but I think it's gonna be to much. Big thing I've noticed is they really did nothing in ways of heat protection. Hi temp lead good quality plugs, I mite sound odd ball, headers will be last unless I get a OK 2nd sett. Until then I'll rap the headers all the way down to first connection. And hopefully just use the old airbox into cold air intake. I'll make a 3inch intake pipe thru the fog light and put lid on the box. With poddy all nicely tugged to grab air. What about the box just heating coz it's plastic, got that sorted cheap. Thickish fire tape rubber with shying outer relexs heat pretty well. NOTE THIS WILL BE MY FIRST BUILD, IVE BEEN AT THIS ON PAPER FOR 6MONTHS, TRYING GET SOLID INFORMATION BEFORE I MOVE AHEAD. I know I missed alot of finer details. But I'm aware that this is the default rabbit hole for every gentleman eventually.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Not sure where you’re getting your information from but there’s no such thing as a 300kw v6 ve and also as per your other comment in the other thread a ve exhaust system simply won’t fit your car they are a completely different layout underneath, those mace 69mm throttle body’s work with the Ecotec but you will need a tune if auto gearbox as they make the auto flair and do all sorts of weird stuff speaking from experience here and the 5L throttle body’s simply don’t fit, try bolt one on if you don’t believe me

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wow, I had so much trouble reading post one I can't even remember what the question was. But I will say everything in post two is correct.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
IMG_2489.png

Top picture is an example of what your exhaust looks like although will be a single pipe and single centre muffler but the shape and route it follows is the same below is a ve sedan system, it says v8 but fits v6 as well so you can see why a ve exhaust system won’t fit your vu… not even close
Edit. Apologies I deleted the 1st photo as it was a picture of a twin system which yours won’t have

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think the VY V6 had a twin can exhaust on the V6? A V8 system bolts straight up to it. It's a good upgrade if the motor warrants it. I used the stock V8 HSV system on the V6 but you want one that has the balance pipes fitted so it sounds good.

Gear wise, 3.45, 3.73, 3.91, 4.11 are the options.