Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First VL and first project :)

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Executive Commodore
About me..

Sex: Female
Lives in: SA

About my car..

This is my daily! :D

Model & Year: VL SL Executive commodore - 1988
Colour: White
Engine Type: RB30 N/A
Kms: 190,000
Engine Mods: K & N panel filter & 8MM Top Gun leads otherwise stock
Power: No idea.
Exhaust: 2.5 inch
Gearbox: 4 speed Auto
Brakes: New discs on front with Bendix pads, stock drums on back with new shoes.
Suspension: Stock
Wheels/Tyres: Original Executive hubcaps/Stockies
Interior: Was originally a mess but pretty neat now, new seats just put in. Still want to do some more work on it.
Other Mods: New coolant washer bottle/Windscreen washer bottle, Solex locks, deleted aerial, debadged, removed pin striping.
Stereo: Pioneer deck, Pioneer 6x9 speakers.
Cost: Bought the car for $900.

Future mods: Pioneer deck-done, Pioneer 6x9s-done, cut out rust and prepare for respray-started, get resprayed, custom door trims, custom parcel shelf, group A grill-done just needs paint, Billet dress up parts for engine bay, Suspension upgrade ie new springs, shocks and bushes, Upgrade back brakes, New bumpers and door moulds.

Any suggestions welcomed :) Pictures are on my profile and any recent updates on this thread :)

Last edited:

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Nice and cheap, great car to start mods/do-up to make a nice streeter

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
That's a steal for $900!! Lucky bugger lol.

Mine has Pedders Super Low springs and it sits and rides really nice (I also have 17" VY SS rims which look awesome on VLs).

Here's mine:

2qlzj49.jpg

Also, just get a major service, give it a nice clean, and whack some nice 17's or 18's on there!

Also, if you want to keep it N/A, or even want to make your exhaust more awesome, grab some extractors. I run mine with the stock exhaust still and it makes a difference sound-wise, so yours would sound sweet given you have the 2.5" already

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
first thing i would do, replace the missing bumper strips, and lower it, then some nice 18's or 19's

might aswell, this was my old one nothing special

coast 6 1feb11.jpg

they where ultra lows in the rear, and you need an adjustable pan hard rod if you want to put ultra lows in

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
looks like a good project,i would like to know how many of them future mods actually get done lol.

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha, finding time to actually get to work on it isn't easy but i'm determined. I want the car in a decent state by November so i can head out for C4C for the first time. So fingers crossed! I'll keep this post up to date with any mods or improvements that get made. Thanks for your thoughts guys.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
First thing you should do before C4C is make sure everything is mechanically working first lol, might sound lame, I know, but it's better to go cruising in a car that runs perfect with no speakers, than to spend the time installing speakers and finding you break down after the first Kilometer!

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah definitely! I think mechanically it's actually quite good, however there is a few things i need to attend to. Thanks for the advice!

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Time for an update, I've had a transmission service (it's now changing much smoother) :D Also i picked up a group A grill for $20 and have preped it for painting. I also sanded out all the rust around the front window and did some filling in, and replaced the seals, aswel as new plastics to replace the broken old ones. Also recently got a wheel alignment and balance to correct wheel shake at high speeds. Getting there! Have added more pics to my albums. Links below...

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/girlwiththevl-albums-progress-pictures.html

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/girlwiththevl-albums-before-pictures.html

Last edited:

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's lots of pic's in my albums on my profile but here's some of what i've recently been up too.

Group A grill, picked it up for $20.
2bz1b4.jpg

Pulled the plastics off and found just a little rust.. lol
1znxz09.jpg

Here's an after pic, not a very good one but nonetheless. Sanded all the rust out, was lucky enough to only find one little hole (filled that in aswel as any low spots) then sprayed the area in primer because i was down to bare metal.
2ep2he0.jpg

And here's one with the new seals and plastics on.
osdb2h.jpg

Last edited: