Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First VL and first project :)

Jinxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
awesome job ur doin on the vl... im doin the same at the moment to my vl... every job i do i come across more work that needs doin... i have those "rare" plastics lol... had to source passenger side as it had been snapped... my whole interior is stripped n ready or reconditioning... all my bumpers, lights, plastics, wheels n brakes are all removed as well... my vl must've been a beach car cos it has more rust than the titanic... slowly getn through it all... keep up the good work :eek:)

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Executive Commodore
Haha, i'm quietly confident about painting the badges :D.

Thanks Jinxer, it's nice to hear people like what i'm doing :). Sounds good, you got any pics of yours?? Would love to see what you've done. Have you got a thread on here for your VL?

Last edited:

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
So the other day i took the dash apart and put a new odometer cog in. But i found that someone had messed with the numbers and broke the odometer, so i need to hunt down a new speedo unit or dash cluster soon to fix up those messed up numbers.

Here's a couple pics anyway..
a1nj9.jpg

2wd8svl.jpg

Today i removed the cd player and speakers to put in some new ones. I had no experience but was able to get it all done within about 2 hours. I was pretty impressed! It sounds SO good! :)

The old bits..
33m8t4j.jpg

The new Pioneer 6x9s installed :)
2i9ju5d.jpg

The new Pioneer deck installed..
28u4s9c.jpg

Switched on..
2dbw9i8.jpg

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Looks good! I recently took out the old 4" front speakers and installed some new Sony Xplode ones I had lying around, it's good having some form of sound in the front now instead of just the back lol, Good luck with the cluster!

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
So the other day the VL wouldn't start, there wasn't enough power, i knew this as the dash and interior lights would dim when i tried to start it. I jump started it and it was fine, took it for a drive for half an hour then the next day started it up and it was fine. The day after it was almost flat again, i did a few tests with the multimeter and found the battery wasn't holding charge. Upon closer inspection i found that the battery that was in it wasn't suitable, it was a cheap battery made for older cars without air con or heavy electrical loads apart from this the battery also said it was not suitable for cars with EFI! The terminals and connections to the battery were quite dodgey and had definitely seen better days.

Here's a pick of the old battery, forgot to take a pick of how bad the terminals were..

2zz3woy.jpg

So i thought it was about time to get new terminals and a new (appropriate) battery, i opted for the most expensive battery they had (Century, Ultra high performance) because it came with a 36 month warranty aswel as having an indicator on the top of the battery to tell you instantly if the battery is either, ok, needs a charge or needs water topped up. Aside from that it was only about $20 more expensive than the standard battery.

2prvkmr.jpg

2419r7q.jpg

After changing the battery and terminals over i noticed some big improvements were made, the car now starts the instant you turn the key, before it would take a couple seconds after you turn the key. Also at idle it used to drop the revs down a bit then back up, now it idles nicely. And most importantly this battery is holding it's charge :)

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah :) i was surprised how much of a difference it actually made!

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update..

I put a new ac belt on today, the old one had a lot of cracks in it and looked as if it was just about to snap. I also took the fan off and cleaned the fan and a few other bits while the fan was off. I also took off the air piping and cleaned it all properly. Last week i bought another white vl to use for parts to fix up mine :) So i'll start swapping parts over soon! Getting there..

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I wish I had a 2nd parts car haha, pretty sure my AFM is gonna crap out soon :( Check your intake pipe for cracks between the, what would you call it, the gaps in the wierd part that's like ^-^-^-^- coming from the air box