Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First VL and first project :)

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
Good score fr $900 and well done on all the work youve done so far. Check out my thread if you get a chance. Bit of a w.i.p ive got going. Im hoping to make it to c4c, hope to see you out there. Keep up the good work

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Any updates, miss?

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Executive Commodore
UPDATE: Unfortunately i didn't make the deadline for C4C. I went out and started the car one day, and it was running like crap. I did a heap of checks and replaced a few things but in the end found out it was the injectors causing the issue. So this week i'll be replacing those. Due to lack of funds around Christmas time, the car has sadly been just sitting there for a few weeks. I'm hoping to have her back on the road this week though :).

I've done a couple minor bits, i found a good condition top dash piece (as mine had cuts all over it for some unknown reason) Also i got a good condition cluster with a working odometer that happened to be on the right kms and put that in :)
Taking the dash apart and putting back together wasn't exactly a fun task.. lol.

Cluster in..
157q4x.jpg

Also bought some billet window winders which i'll put on this week :)
pvl2h.jpg

Hopefully at the end of this week i have more to report! I'm hoping to pull off the door moulds and get the car preped for painting. But i've been thinking i'm not sure whether to go alpine white or alpine white over silver.. need to hurry up and decide though!

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Hi good to see there's a chick out restoring a VL :) just had a quick read through, and by the sounds of it ur doing pretty good. Keep up the good work.
I think you might be due for a 5 speed soon. I think u should do the white over the silver, it always sets of a VL. I recently just got my wagon painted a dark metallic blue over Calais silver. Looks awesome.
I hope u realize you've entered the world of never ending spending of money. The joys of owning a VL haha. Have fun

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
UPDATE: Slow but steady... I took the fuel rail out and decided while it was out i'd paint it aswel as painting the window washer motor. Also before i put the new injectors in i want to clean up the air intake manifold and replace the gaskets so at the moment the car is sitting apart.

Ready to paint..
j9lb9i.jpg

Painted window washer motor blue like the rocker cover..
1ig2mc.jpg

Painted fuel rail matt black..
bdnukk.jpg

Apart from that i put a new fuse rail in recently.. Tomorrow i will put some inline fuses in for the headlights/high beam. To avoid more melting.

Before..
261kpah.jpg

After..
22lqgh.jpg

Also got a new distributor cap and rotor arm and put them on..
1zlrerq.jpg

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Good to see you're still working on it! Love the matte black, I just sprayed my intercooler pipes matte black yesterday haha, it goes well with any colour inside the bay. Are you replacing any injectors while the rail is out? How hard was it to take out? I have some leaky injectors I want to replace

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks :) cool. Yeah i agree. Yeah, i will be replacing all 6 injectors with brand new ones :yeah:

It wasn't too bad to take out, i've done it twice and tried both ways. You can either split the manifold or work around it. When you split the manifold, it can get a little hard to remember where all the hoses ect go. But on the plus side it make it much easier to actually take the fuel rail out. When you take it out without removing the top half of manifold, it's more straight forward however it's a very tight space.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Ah okay yeah I thought the only way to go was to split the mani, which looks like a real pain. Did it take long to pull out?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
It took about an hour when i didn't split the manifold but i'd say it took longer when i did split it. (not sure exactly how long, was trying to just focus on what i was doing lol) Most the trouble taking the manifold apart is all the hoses ect trying not to break them or get them mixed up. Also the 3 bolts that go upwards can be tough to get to, the 4 on top weren't a problem though :).