Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fit rear muffler to my vp s2 wagon

markmaclean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore s2
Hi guys.
I need to replace my rear muffler on my vp s2 wagon. Have picked up a second hand part from a wreck. Im not very mechanically minded but going to attempt it as it doesnt seem too difficult.

The part has flange join. Is it a matter of unbolting and rebolting replacement part.

Can anyone give some brief instruction or tips when tackling this mission.

Also will i need to get new gasket and hangers to do the job.

Cheers in advance
Mark

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hi guys.
I need to replace my rear muffler on my vp s2 wagon. Have picked up a second hand part from a wreck. Im not very mechanically minded but going to attempt it as it doesnt seem too difficult.

It's not difficult.

The part has flange join. Is it a matter of unbolting and rebolting replacement part.

Pretty much.

Can anyone give some brief instruction or tips when tackling this mission.

Spraying the bolts with penetrating oil eg. WD40 a few hours before you start will make undoing the bolts easier.

Also will i need to get new gasket and hangers to do the job.

Cheers in advance
Mark

You may be able to reuse the existing gasket but they are not expensive to replace. Sometimes the gasket will stick and tear when the joint is separated.

Hangers, no unless they are noticeably split or missing. I find it is easiest to loop the driver's side hanger on first, then the passenger side on the top hook and use a lever - like a large flat blade screwdriver - to stretch the lower loop over the muffler hook using the tip of the muffler hook as the fulcrum.

There should be a bump rubber attached to the body between the muffler and body hooks for the hanger. Sometimes that goes missing so you might have to replace that.

markmaclean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore s2
Ok thanks thats a big help.

Theres a vibrating/shaking under the car also, could this be from a broken hanger.

I have also just tried to use my heater/demister and found that the engine seems to rev about every 5-10 seconds. If idling it is string enough to make the car jolt even when brake is depressed.

Is this because of my muffler having holes, and if not any ideas as to what this could be? I havea small crack in my exhaust manifold also and am wondering/hoping it is all related.

Cheers
mark

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If the exhaust is touching something under the car then you will get a vibration or rattle. There will be witness marks on both the exhaust and what it is hitting. The fix will depend on what is the cause. It may be stretched, missing or broken hangers or the exhaust needs a tweak on the points where it can be moved (so the 'Y' pipe to manifold joins). The exhaust system is long so a small change in angle will mean a big change in displacement along its length. Apart from the obvious things, I would look at that only after you have fitted the muffler.

The heater is vacuum operated so maybe you have a vacuum leak in the heater controls. That would include the heater tap under the bonnet (on the driver's side, next to the exhaust manifold), the little vacuum switch that is behind the console just to the left of a driver's knee and the heater control dial.

A crack in the (passenger side?) exhaust manifold can draw in enough air to alter the O2 sensor signal and disrupt the air:fuel ratio that the engine gets (via the ECM). That may affect fuel consumption and, if it's really bad, cause driveability problems but I think the engine revs altering just when the heater is operated will be something else.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Replacements for those exhaust manifolds can be hard to find because they frequently crack. A recent post had some info on an easy repair. I hear that installing them with a gasket can make them less likely to crack. Look for this one down the page a bit:
vn vr exhaust crack common, fix? (with pics)
Started by bubbada, 04-03-2013 05:50 PM

Last edited: