Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting 3" Spacers to Front only?

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Hey all,

I have a 1989 VN Exec V6 Sedan. I picked up a set of VT Calais International wheels for it, but upon fitting them to the car I've come to find the centre-caps wont fit on the front due to the dust-caps on the hubs. My concern is safety over the look. I already feel "unsafe" driving with these rims on knowing that I've easily halved the amount of turns the nuts have on the studs due to the offset of these wheels.

Have read over this thread which seems to offer a solution in 3" spacers, but then the argument of legality and the need to lengthen the studs.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/71901-cant-fit-centre-caps.html

I would agree of definitely needing to lengenthen the studs (for safety more than anything as without the spacers, they have about 8 turns tops apposed to the odd 15 I'd do when having the 15" stockies on)

THEN another post suggests just simply getting VR/VS Hubs - but no explanation as to why.
Do VS hubs have longer studs than VN? Is it a straight fit or will I have to mess around with other things to do this conversion?
Will it matter if I only do this conversion to my fronts and leave the rears?

Have been doing head-miles on this so much to the point I just want to #### the Calais internationals off and stay stock.

Any and all insight would be highly appreciated!
TIA

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Vr vs hubs don't have the bulging bearing cover totally different setup like vt.you can just pop the bearing caps off the wheel centre caps will keep the dirt out

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Spacers are illegal on the Commodore, due to safety reasons....(JXW mentioned it on the other thread) so personally forget spacers....

2 solutions...1) as Ducker 85 suggested....

2) change to VR onwards hubs....benefits are.....no wheel fitament problems, the VR onwards hub doesn't have the long thread for the wheel bearing.....siliconing centre cap.....good idea, but unfortunately, when it comes to wheel changing for what ever reason, you do run the risk of damaging the centre cap trying to remove it... You also need to have a tube on hand when putting the centre cap back on.

One more benefit....upgrade brakes to VT - VZ.....That's a good safety improvement

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Spacer's will make the car more unsafe, especially 75mm ones.
You clearly have no idea, so piss those rims off and go for some that fit your car properly without any modifications.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The stud length isn't to much of a concern. Stock rims are made of a stronger metal and thinner, alloys need to be thicker to be strong enough that is why there is a difference in how many turns you get, nothing related to offset at all.
Standard the rim is a fairly good fit over the hub and this supports the rim, spacing the rim away from this support then most of the support will be the studs hence why they are dangerous and not legal (longer studs is not a fix)

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Another easy option if you don't want to use a hammer, maybe use a die grinder or dremel tool to thin the cap rather then cut a hole but up too you

44mm hole saw :) I put VZ R8 19s on my VN SS
P1080033_zps70bd0bcb.jpg

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The huge difference in track front to back will make your car handle like balls, and there's a pretty good chance it will scrub on the guard because of the massive amount of poke.

Not to mention that there aren't a lot of people who make would make a spacer that big, let alone one for a Commodore.