Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Fitting a 4 BBL Manifold to a 304 (TP Dual Plane Injected)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thought I'd start a new thread on this so that the info/progress is all in one place.

The end goal is to have this TP dual plane running on a 304 in the HJ. But first the plan is to get it running and driving in another V8 Statesman I currently have here. This means when I put the 'new' engine in with new cam, rings and bearings I can be confident it'll start, run and drive so it can be properly run in. The tuning is what concerns me the most but not the end of the world if I stuff something up on an old engine.
KeWobfg.jpg

The previous owner had snapped a bolt off in one of the injector rail mount bosses, then tried to removed it with an ezy out and snapped that in there too which is why i got it for a good price. Cut the top off the boss and drilled and retapped a new hole.
puImKXF.jpg

Purchased one of these from SSS/AT/Procomp. Not sure on quality but seems okay so far. Uses a ford 351 TPS and a GM IAC. Should do the job.
RseYt5R.jpg

Polished one of the fuel rails and crossover today and started fitting sensors and fittings.
xoN5dcd.jpg

Throttlebody gasket and stud kit have been ordered too

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
So take it your going EFI?

Just a note we got TP to drill out the boss at the back for Manifold Air Temp sensor. It's hidden in your photos but it's near the vaccumm line. We used the tapped back port for the brake booster by itself with a barb fitting. Tried going tee piece but it was just a pain.

Also managed to run factory PCV the way it was from stock. Left side viewing it straight on went into the bottom of the filter using the included Edelbrock filter barb (had to drill some holes but theres spots for it on most of them). Right side we had the hose run from the throttle body into the stock PCV valve then into the rocker cover.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So take it your going EFI?

Just a note we got TP to drill out the boss at the back for Manifold Air Temp sensor. It's hidden in your photos but it's near the vaccumm line. We used the tapped back port for the brake booster by itself with a barb fitting. Tried going tee piece but it was just a pain.

Also managed to run factory PCV the way it was from stock. Left side viewing it straight on went into the bottom of the filter using the included Edelbrock filter barb (had to drill some holes but theres spots for it on most of them). Right side we had the hose run from the throttle body into the stock PCV valve then into the rocker cover.
Thanks mate - yep this ones been drilled out. Bloke before me had it on a VS. Plan to keep the PCV system too - will probably use AN fittings and lines for that eventually.

I need to buy some heater hose fittings for it too - any chance you'd remember the size of the ones that go into the top/front of the manifold?

Will post up details of the fuel pump with pics as it goes together too. Got a holley mighty might carb pump as a lift pump which will feed a 1L swirl pot and then from a Bosch 044 up to the rail through 3/8 aluminium hardline with factory FPR. Already have everything I need in that regard.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Funnily enough I found a text file I left myself years ago with that info yesterday. Hopefully it's right.

Brake booster was 1/4 inch NPT

Coolant was 1/2 inch BSP from memory.

whdPl4J.jpg

I also got a TPS and MAT sensor loom extension from GM Motorsports so I didn't have to cut into any factory loom wires.

Last edited:

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well there you go. Didn't have that when I did the swap I don't think

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What radiator hose did you use?

I Unwrapped my loom and pulled the TPS and IAC wiring and re-wrapped.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cheers gents, that’s a big help. Tried to remove the alloy fitting in the water port on top (black fitting) but it just kept turning. Got it out and threads in the manifold are damaged but should be okay with some sealant. No wonder the po left it there lol. Don’t think the same happens with brass fittings though?

As for the radiator hose, I’ll be trying a wb 253 hose as the thermostat housing is in a similar position and angle to mine, and the wb uses a Commodore style radiator. Will sit the manifold on the engine in the vs and see how it fits. Wraith has a different thermostat housing to mine. Mines angled upwards and has the heater hose outlet.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
I’m running a torque power dual plane, but it’s a high rise. So slightly different. But I’m using a Elite billet thermostat housing. Which has a single heater line off the back, the part of the housing for the radiator sit a lot flatter than a lot of the other ones I have seen. Ended up using a VY V6 top Radiator hose. But cut it in the middle and put a black alloy joiner

Was planning to use a HT 308 thermostat housing and top hose but the housing was just fouling on the manifold. And I think the hose wasn’t quite the right angle, and kept trying to kink.