Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting a new steering wheel

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
So I'm going to buy a new steering wheel for my car and before you ask, yes i've been to wreckers and looked around and naturally there are hundreds but they're all just as worn as mine. I don't want a silly aftermarket one either, i want just a stock one and I already know where to get one brand new for $100, genuine holden.

So my question is, do I need to be careful of anything when dismantling the old one? Like, airbag etc? Is it easy to put the airbag back in and do i need to have it reset again or something? or is it basically just unbolt the old one, unplug the airbag, transfer everything to the new steering wheel and bold back on?

All thoughts are appreciated

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
You may need to disconnect battery when doing it, I can't remember the correct procedure.
Definitely don't want it blowing up in your face.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
people say wait 30 mins as a precaution for the airbag and some people say you dont need too... personally i'd wait the 30 mins just to be safe ;)

after that do what you want but be carefull

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
people say wait 30 mins as a precaution for the airbag and some people say you dont need too... personally i'd wait the 30 mins just to be safe ;)

after that do what you want but be carefull

ye that sounds good....but is it a simple unbolt and transfer all the contents and bolt back on?

Gawfo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S Series 2
yeh i was gonna do the same thing and was also wondering about the airbag, but where are u gettin one for $100???

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
SRS disable

disconnect both + and - wait 10 seconds

this is from the manual

it's triggered by a AC siginal

Last edited:

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
excellent!ye don't worry i have all the torx tools.that's not a problem. um for the steering wheel for $100, go to the holmartholden website.they're about 5 mins away from me so i'll just pick one up lol

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Think only VE has the torx bolt but its Sunday and Im still half asleep.

As said dc the battery and also pull the SRS fuse just to be safe.

In the back of the steering wheel theres 4 slots, stick a flat blade screwdriver in there and twist it to release the airbag. Turn the wheel 90 degrees so the slots are at the top.

Unplug the airbag and the horn connection and place the airbag in the passenger footwell or somewhere safe facing up.

I think you have to unplug a couple of things the allow removal of the wheel not sure, its Sunday blah blah blah

Now an important point here !!

Before removing the wheel make sure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is level. Remove the wheel by pulling at it left right left right etc to wriggle it off. Under the wheel is the clockspring, DO NOT MOVE THIS FROM ITS CURRENT POSITION!! If it gets wound around even once without the steering wheel on it will break when you turn a corner. It must stay centralised.

Another point is do not give the car power and turn the ignition on without the airbag on or it will log a code that will not clear itself.

Do all this in reverse to fit the replacement wheel.

Have fun.