Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting a VR Calais leather steering wheel to a VS S Pack

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
Hey, so as the title says, a mate of mine has a VR Calais he is wrecking for parts and I'm basically laying dibs on everything he has like a madman, because I want his Calais goodies before it goes to the wreckers.

His Calais has a leather wrap, airbag equipped steering wheel. My VS has a ordinary, non airbag non leather steering wheel.

Basically what I want to do is swap steering wheels so I have a leather wheel on my car. Is this a straight swap, do-able with some mods or downright impossible? I would imagine the biggest hurdle would be the airbag, I assume that would have to be removed as my car isn't designed to have an airbag installed in it? Are the mounting points the same or do I need a boss kit? Am I making sense or just talking out of my arse here? Do I have to swap the whole wheel over or can I just swap the leather rim around while leaving my old centre on?

Anyone who could give me some advice would be much appreciated.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
Should be a straight swap. Just use his wheel with your centre.
1.Remove battery, and turn headlights on.

2.Just pull the centre off, there is a big nut under that undo but dont fully take it off (leave the nut on the end of the thread).

3.Disconnect horn wires and airbag.

4.Now pull wheel off, some are stuck on there pretty good so it might need a bit of a whack. This is why you leave the nut on the tread, stops the wheel coming right off and hitting you in the face. Lol

5. Install is just the reverse but throw you centre on and there is no airbag wire.