Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting an LSD to VT

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
Do what I did and just get an LSD from a wrecker and get it put in cost me $350 all up, got a LSD from a VY SV8 that had done 100,000 Km's cant go wrong with that

I did buy a LSD from a VY SS, It had done 40,000kms and they still wanted almost 1g to just swap it over. Is it a big job to do yourself??? ive just never had a go due to not having access to a lift or stands

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
I did buy a LSD from a VY SS, It had done 40,000kms and they still wanted almost 1g to just swap it over. Is it a big job to do yourself??? ive just never had a go due to not having access to a lift or stands

1 grand just to swap it over? Would take less than an hour a mechanic shouldn't even charge $100 for it

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
gee's, thats a definite rip.

jack stands are only $30 and it wouldnt take ya a day to do it ya self, its all pretty straight forward. undo bolts and put em back in. buy a gregorys manual for $30 if ya need, it has step by step instructions on everything....

even if ya get half way and get stuk ya can always get a mobile mach to come finish it..

holden boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
its easy as just make sure you have the drive shaft that matches as the vt has universal joints and vx on wards has rubber mounts , so thats the only thing to look out for and you mite need a few high tennsile bolts that fit but its easy as .
just loosen the bolts at the diff from the drive shaft , drop the drive shaft loop , undo all bolts from drive shaft and take drive shaft away.
then take out the bolts from either side of the diff that go to the wheels , there is a little plug on both sides for the abs sensors ( or something else maybe but i think its the abs ).
then there is 4 big bolts holding the diff up so undo them ( depending on how u are doing it you need to have something stacked under it to hold the weight , makes it easier ) , And then once that is done and its dropping there is a little hose on the breather tube from the diff just slide that of and done .
do backwards to put new one in ( go buy $300 worth of tools etc if need be and if your not sure take pictures with a digital camera as you go so you know were everything goes . lots cheaper than $1000 and you will feel great driving it around knowing you installed it )

arj127

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Getting the LSD in is no worries for me, it's this allignment thing people have talked off i'm concerned about.
Hopefully going to do it this weekend if i have free time. Got the new oil now, ready to go

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
say's in the manual just to match mark the diff and where it and everything sits before ya take it out (tail shaft to diff/diff to chassis/mounts/ect) just so ya can put it all back and line it all up in the exact same spot...... i just drew a line around the mounting plate of old diff (where it sits/bolts on to the chassis) and put the new diff in the exact same spot and it worked ok for me.

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
any one know the diff with a vt s1 diff to a s2 diff??

i know s1 run vs type and s2 has vx onwards, but whats rly different??

can u throw in s2 diffs by them selfs or do you need other parts as well???

arj127

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
say's in the manual just to match mark the diff and where it and everything sits before ya take it out (tail shaft to diff/diff to chassis/mounts/ect) just so ya can put it all back and line it all up in the exact same spot...... i just drew a line around the mounting plate of old diff (where it sits/bolts on to the chassis) and put the new diff in the exact same spot and it worked ok for me.

Cool, thanks for that, makes sense

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim