Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting another dash switch...?

ozzietj

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Exec
Seeing as i'm rather forgetful (being a bike rider) i keep leaving the headlights on.... its an easy habit as the ones on bikes always switch off as soon you turn the key off. Anyways. I'm going to hook in a headlight reminder thingy, but want to fit a stock switch (eg. hazard, ac, rear demister) and repaint it with something on the front.... dunno, "buzzer" or something. There's a blank under the headlight switch, how can you remove the blank to fit a stock switch??? and.... should i just rip a stock switch from an auto wreckers?

mrc25381

MRC
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Series II V6
Hey mate,

Some simple suggestions:

They are handy those buzzers, although I thought all VR's had auto off light switch... Anyway..

I have a VP, (which the interior is similar, in what I'm about to tell you anyway) and underneath the stereo head unit, there are 3 square false buttons, yeah? And one of them has the flashing LED, right?

Anyway, as I like to experiment with lights and whatnot, I had a hole drilled in one of these 'buttons' for a switch, so when I decided to take the switch out, I had an ugly hole in it. What I decided to do was cut the whole button thingy off (using a hacksaw blade and a small file) and I replaced it with an LED type one as mentioned before (it just clips in, easy as) So I still have a little hole there, but is not as obvious.

On the same note, with my VP, the 3rd 'button' is actually the Air Con switch, so maybe you could use one of those, and wire it accordingly for your headlight sensor, and then peel off the "A/C" label.

Let us know how you go.

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
Why bother?? Just wire in a piezo buzzer and let it hang from the wires under the dash, or cable tie it to stop it swinging. Easy and cheap little job to do. No holes or anything.