Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting AU Fans In A VK Commodore

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Hey,
Just wondering if anybody out there has done the conversion of AU fans into there VK Commodore?
If so interested to learn how they are wired up, which colour wires do you use from the original Ford loom?
Can get my hands on a thermatic switch relay easy enough just need to know which wires go where?
Any help would be much appreciated....

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I got AU fans in my VK (think they're AU fans).....haven't wired them up yet tho but will let ya know how I done it afterwards. :p

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i wrote a response but wasnt sure if you wanted to read it or not, so i will write it again.

"i wouldnt do it till you have improved your alternator and electrical system" the stock AU delco alternators are 100A and your stock VK is 55-60A. no where near enough juice to run thermos. even if you run a thermo switch it cuts the fans out at high speed (when you have high volts) and enables them at low speeds (when you have low volts) which means that your temp will run higher that if you just stick with your stock fan and radiator.

there i just said it.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah both running at once uses 40ish amps or more well at least the mondeo ones do i know that much doesnt leave much charging left

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah 40A is a nightmare. i think AU's may be a touch higher than that too cos they are prwetty big and spin really fast. we installed my mates so its on with ignition 'on' constant and he basically couldnt drive on rainy nights cos the car would conk out with the wipers/heater/lights on. then you got the problem of wire not handling that kinda current and melting, have to run good solid 25A wires for each fan, so times 2, then dual relays because (as we found out) a relay can easily cope with 40A, but the fuse attached to that relay melts... that right, it melts. it doesnt blow, it actually gets so hot the plastic body and holder melt. then after all that crap we salvaged a delco alternator from the wrecker off an AU just to cope with the current draw.

so it took about two weeks to get it working, and thats with two boys (me and him) who think we know about cars.

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Thanks for the heads up, already have an 80amp alternator installed at the moment which I thought would help with my stereo cut out issue but it turns out that was because I had it wired into the original harness that went through the brake light switch. Now that I have wired it straight to the battery it works perfectly fine and not sure whether or not the 80 amp alternator was needed.
I'm doing a motor switch soon to a 202 that has big valves, roller rockers and a stage two cam in it, so didn't know if i would have overheating issues. But i wanted to incorporate thermos as I'm trying to get the car up to streeter show quality and thought the thermos would give it a more modded look.
If I did upgrade my alternator to the 120amp would I need a new battery with higher CCA?
And do you think that the alternator and battery could take running the car, the AU thermos and a sound system that comprises of (head deck, 2 6", 2 6 x 9", an amp running a 12" sub + thinking of adding an additional 2 10" subs?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
And do you think that the alternator and battery could take running the car, the AU thermos and a sound system that comprises of (head deck, 2 6", 2 6 x 9", an amp running a 12" sub + thinking of adding an additional 2 10" subs?

We use to run 3x JL 12" subs using a stocko alternator....never had a problem.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
already have an 80amp alternator installed at the moment

yeah i reckon and 80 should do it, but you will be running close on rainy nights. a bigger battery wont do bugger all really, they run at 12V and you really need up around 14.5 for everything to run properly. the idea is that every electrical device in your car should be fine with just the alternator. the battery is just there to start it.

as far as the stereo goes, one amp and a head unit isnt all that much of a drag. prolly 15A max between the two of them with it turned up loud(depending on the amp of course) so 40A for fans 25A for lights and 15A for stereo and your all good. i know it isnt meant to be worked out like that, there is some spastic wattage formular you need to calculate, but bugger it. my way sounds like it works :p

edit* sorry, back to the topic, how many wires in the plug and what colour are they?

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
yeah i reckon and 80 should do it, but you will be running close on rainy nights. a bigger battery wont do bugger all really, they run at 12V and you really need up around 14.5 for everything to run properly. the idea is that every electrical device in your car should be fine with just the alternator. the battery is just there to start it.

as far as the stereo goes, one amp and a head unit isnt all that much of a drag. prolly 15A max between the two of them with it turned up loud(depending on the amp of course) so 40A for fans 25A for lights and 15A for stereo and your all good. i know it isnt meant to be worked out like that, there is some spastic wattage formular you need to calculate, but bugger it. my way sounds like it works :p

edit* sorry, back to the topic, how many wires in the plug and what colour are they?

his rite listen to him i bought a 140amp alt for 275 its chrome aswell