Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting Chrome Bonnet Strip..?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey everyone,

As the thread name suggests, I'm fitting a Calais bonnet extension to my Acclaim, and have finally got around to getting the hardware to mount it to the bonnet, but I am a little unsure on exactly how to do it...

I thought the 'nuts' that push into the bonnet would be plastic and just sort of clip in there; But they're metal and they just slide in and out easily??

So, any one who has done it, or knows how to, do you just screw the torx screw up until it buckles the 'nut' like a pop rivit, holding it in place, or is there more to it that I'm missing out on? :confused:

I've tried the just do it up til the 'nut' buckles idea, and it just strips the hex in the bonnet... Its an aftermarket bonnet, possibly chep/thinner metal?

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated, its been a while since touching either car, so I thought I'd start out small :p

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Mate, I know the problems you have encountered. I think the idea is that you thread a headless long screw into the nut, place it in position in the bonnet, then fit a pop riveter over the shank and compress the nut. Don't overdo it as the shank could snap off and leave you with a useless nut stuck in place that can't be used. Remove the shank, and your nut will be compressed in place ready to take the proper screw.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahhh haaa!!

That makes perfect sense! :D
I figured with the amount of people fitting them, (or the body coloured ones) that some one should have an idea on 'how to' do it.

Will have to chase up a long threaded rod/bolt and see how I go... :)

Cheers Calaber! :beer chug:

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ended up finding one on ebay. Think it started around $100 ended up paying like $150 posted from Melbourne. Took a bit of a chance not really knowing how scratched up it was etc.. (sent them a message, but you never know how much a strangers 'word' is worth)

When it got here it was immaculate, a little dusty on the bracket, but the chrome didn't even have light swirl marks on it!! I was stoked!!
Apparently Holden don't have them or something, tried a while back to get one through them but no go. :/

But I sat it on the bonnet to look at it with out any screws in it, shut the bonnet to hold it in - all sweet. Popped the bonnet to take it back out and it fell on the concrete.
So it has a couple of little blemishes, but from 1 meter away you can't really see them :)