Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fitting cruise cont to VY.

squidda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thinking about buying a Vy exec wagon that does not have cruise control.

Can it be fitted? if so, How much and is it a Holden only job or should any mechanic be able to do it?

Thanks

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Sure it can be done.
If you go genuine cruise then i'd get holden to do it.
You may be able to pick up a unit from a wrecker yard if you're lucky but as far as cost i'm not sure.

Built

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 ute
Ive seen lots of spare parts on Ebay, some even in kit form complete with detailed instructions for around $150 to suit a V8. I'm waiting till I see one for a V6 and give it a go. Cant be that hard.

--Built--

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Genuine kit is around $350 fitted, I had it put on my VY. It comes with a seperate Wiring Loom, Genuine stalk, Motor, etc... I would get your holden dealer to install the genuine one though as they have to take off the airbag, steering wheel, etc. Took my holden dealer most of a day to install.
But works perfectly, also it integrates into the computer system so it shows when the cruise control is turned on / off.

Cheers
Holdensupporter2005 :thumbsup:

blownba

Reaction score
Genuine kit is really easy to fit and is by far the best way to go.

Kurt O'Neill

Kurt O'Neill
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
I'm Wrecking my VY commodore so i have a Vy cruise control kit (genuine) thats gotta go aye. i still have virtually the whole sedan except the passenger door and roof. if you need any parts give me a yell!!

teznet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe Wagon
My brother-in-law fitted factory cruise to his VY Exec. Not hard to do for him, but I would have it done.
If buying from a Holden dealer, shop around. When he bought his, there was a wide range of prices from Holden dealers. If you are in Melbourne, I think he got his from Booran Holden but that was a few years ago now. Cheers

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
I fitted an aftermarket cruise to my old VS - No issues except you only need 1 magnet on the tailshaft (not the 3 supplied).

Current ride is a VYI Berlina with factory cruise (FC) - definately the go. Apparently the FC modifies the transmission shift as well so that as well as the normal and power shifts there is a "cruise" mode as well. Only minor thing about the factory cruise is the controls are on the stalks. I much prefer the controls on the wheel a-la VT (or even F*O*R*D). I don't do a lot of switching channels on the audio controls so I would have prefered the cruise there. As I said... Minor.

Most of my driving is between Sydney and the "Bush Capital" - last trip back I saw "1050" kilometers to empty on the dash - and that was doing 110km/h the whole way. "Ecotec and Cruise Control" - can't beat em!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 5.7
Go to a wrecker and buy a genuine second hand one and take it to holden to fit. I did that in my wifes falcon. $200 for the cruise kit and $150 to fit. Not bad considering that ford wanted $700 for a new kit fitted.