Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS2] Fitting Diff cooler on stranded ve zf diff

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 S2 ssv redline wagon
Sup people, so before I go stuffing s#@t up I thought I would consult with some people in the know, so here is the deal I want to fit a diff oil cooler on my ve ss so my new diff dosen't suffer the same fate as the last, just wondering if it would be plausible to run a line from the diff drainage bung to a stand alone pump then to the radiator inlet where the transmission fluid used to pass through then a return line back to the diff filler bung? Basically I'm trying not to have to install another cooler up front for fear of lack of air flow to the rad and my car is to low to put it anywhere else, my question is would plumbing it in to the old trans fluid location cool it enough to make a difference or should I front mount a fan and new cooler? Any help would be much appreciated ps currently running a 76c thermostat and have changed the fan cut in to 84c so it rarely hits 100c..anyone know what's optimum temp for the diff oil ? I'm guessing as cool as possible

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
fluids should not run as cool as possable they all have a operating temp range usually about the 100c which is also best as any moisture/water can evaporate, for the diff if u have to just run a small radiator from the points u mentioned if it fits with exhaust there also, mount it maby behind the diff under the vehicle in some airflow and it should help, i wouldnt run anything to the front as the pump will have too much distance to pump oil just for the diff, u can look at the VF LSA GTS as it has a diff oil cooler standard for some ideas, u can also run a thicker diff oil so if the diff runs at a higher temp the oil will still keep its strength ive ran thicker in mine for years without issue

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
fluids should not run as cool as possable they all have a operating temp range usually about the 100c which is also best as any moisture/water can evaporate, for the diff if u have to just run a small radiator from the points u mentioned if it fits with exhaust there also, mount it maby behind the diff under the vehicle in some airflow and it should help, i wouldnt run anything to the front as the pump will have too much distance to pump oil just for the diff, u can look at the VF LSA GTS as it has a diff oil cooler standard for some ideas, u can also run a thicker diff oil so if the diff runs at a higher temp the oil will still keep its strength ive ran thicker in mine for years without issue
Thanks for that, I did actually look into the vf2 lsa cooler, was looking in to modifying that kit to suit but before I go cutting diff hats up I'd have a look around at what some other people have done....I honestly can't find a thread or a kit for sale anywhere

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Need to be careful modifying diff covers. If the original design is a smooth round dish it needs to stay that way. Some people fit custom hats but altering the shape of the dish changes the flow to the pinion and can make the oil slash around the back and not throw properly. On a proper round cover with nothing but the flat round surface the flow of oil gets thrown over the top and onto all the gears and bearings. I can dig out a vid of these blokes who test various covers and show you the problems caused by aftermarkets ones by using their own custom clear covers that match the shape of the aftermarket ones.

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that, I did actually look into the vf2 lsa cooler, was looking in to modifying that kit to suit but before I go cutting diff hats
Need to be careful modifying diff covers. If the original design is a smooth round dish it needs to stay that way. Some people fit custom hats but altering the shape of the dish changes the flow to the pinion and can make the oil slash around the back and not throw properly. On a proper round cover with nothing but the flat round surface the flow of oil gets thrown over the top and onto all the gears and bearings.
Yeah that's true....
Need to be careful modifying diff covers. If the original design is a smooth round dish it needs to stay that way. Some people fit custom hats but altering the shape of the dish changes the flow to the pinion and can make the oil slash around the back and not throw properly. On a proper round cover with nothing but the flat round surface the flow of oil gets thrown over the top and onto all the gears and bearings. I can dig out a vid of these blokes who test various covers and show you the problems caused by aftermarkets ones by using their own custom clear covers that match the shape of the aftermarket ones.
Yeah I totally agree and understand the importance of it, was going to copy this if possible, I understand it's a different diff but same principle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191117-171802_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-171802_Google.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 282

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like peeps been watching the Banks diff cover videos.

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like peeps been watching the Banks diff cover videos.
I haven't actually watched any videos on it yet but I will, I'm a boilermaker/ diesal mechanic buy trade so this would be an easy job in theory...I'm just wondering if it would cool the oil appropriately for my application, but I work on locomotives not cars,

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm surprised that diff oil could get hot enough to cause problems on a DD. I've done plenty of towing caravans. Tow my trailer most weeks and that would be around a 1000kg when loaded. Different diff but I'd say the principal remains the same, heavy loads tend to be what puts strain on the diffs.

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm surprised that diff oil could get hot enough to cause problems on a DD. I've done plenty of towing caravans. Tow my trailer most weeks and that would be around a 1000kg when loaded. Different diff but I'd say the principal remains the same, heavy loads tend to be what puts strain on the diffs.
True...in my case it's aggressive driving over long periods, hey I might be going completely over kill with the cooler idea as the last diff I fried was a standard 3.45 lsd and holden didn't really do the best job with the lsd center in them, my new diff has 3.45 hsv shot peened gears and a harrop trutrac but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry,