Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS2] Fitting Diff cooler on stranded ve zf diff

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That'll be a much better diff for sure.

I can't see why as you suggested, use the drain and filler plugs with a small pump and little radiator mounted somewhere underneath won't work. I've not seen the diff cover in question but maybe it has enough meat in it to drill and tap separate fittings to suit. I'd stick with the stock cover after watching the Banks diff cover series.

Nice job BTW.

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 S2 ssv redline wagon
That'll be a much better diff for sure.

I can't see why as you suggested, use the drain and filler plugs with a small pump and little radiator mounted somewhere underneath won't work. I've not seen the diff cover in question but maybe it has enough meat in it to drill and tap separate fittings to suit. I'd stick with the stock cover after watching the Banks diff cover series.

Nice job BTW.
Yeah I think that will be the way I'll go, I'll give that vid a watch now for a bit more insight just for fun, thanx for your input man, appreciate it

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
dont know about your exhaust but i have to remove mine just to undo those diff drain and fill points so not sure about fittings in to go to a pump as they will stick out least maby 2 inches further, and if yours does fit now any bigger exhaust in future then may no fit

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have read that the stock diffs can have problems, possibly not necessarily from hard driving either. Strengthening it up as you have IMO will be a better upgrade than adding a cooler. As suggested run some 140 oil that should help too. I always run 140 in diffs after my diff builder recommended it.

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
dont know about your exhaust but i have to remove mine just to undo those diff drain and fill points so not sure about fittings in to go to a pump as they will stick out least maby 2 inches further, and if yours does fit now any bigger exhaust in future then may no fit
I'm running a 2.5" at the moment..it is still tight under there but hopefully I can figure something out.

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have read that the stock diffs can have problems, possibly not necessarily from hard driving either. Strengthening it up as you have IMO will be a better upgrade than adding a cooler. As suggested run some 140 oil that should help too. I always run 140 in diffs after my diff builder recommended it.
Might have to give it a go after the initial run in, cheers

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just run 85w-140 LSD oil, this is what my diff guy told me to run. I'm a mechanic so I use a diff guy an engine guy and a trans guy and I trust them all.

The diff hat videos are from Gale Banks I watch alot of his videos mainly on tuning diesel's on the engine dyno. Steve Burle is also a very interesting engine dyno operator to watch he does all the magazine tests which is why he works with motortrend.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm not sure LSD oil is used with the truetrac centres as they don't use a friction/clutch setup so no need for a friction modifier.

Shanessvredline

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just run 85w-140 LSD oil, this is what my diff guy told me to run. I'm a mechanic so I use a diff guy an engine guy and a trans guy and I trust them all.

The diff hat videos are from Gale Banks I watch alot of his videos mainly on tuning diesel's on the engine dyno. Steve Burle is also a very interesting engine dyno operator to watch he does all the magazine tests which is why he works with motortrend.
Thanx dude, I'll check em out

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm not sure LSD oil is used with the truetrac centres as they don't use a friction/clutch setup so no need for a friction modifier.
You can use LSD oil in non LSD diffs just not the other way around. We use LS 90 at work in lots of diffs.