Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting electric windows

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by Cobra30, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Hi,

I've acquired all the electric windows parts needed except the BCM. Someone said that I'll need new key remotes too as they can't be reprogrammed - can anyone confirm this ?

Just a bit of info - when I checked the door looms in my Crewman, the fronts didn't have the motor and switch wiring but the rear doors did have it fitted...... Why ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  2. vpdood

vpdood New Member

Members Ride:
    92 vp berlina
    hey ya, i got a 2003 vy with manula windows, i wanted to fit powa windos n was wondering if u new how much it wuld cost, and where i culd pik up a pak, or get it done?

3. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Most of it appeared on eBay.........

4. smyth

smyth New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive
    Possibly a stupid question, but why do you need to replace the BCM? I have also considered upgrading to power windows but haven't really looked into it much yet. What are you planning to do with the holes left in the door trims?

5. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Yeah, ya wouldn't reckon power windows would need the services of a BCM but the Holden engineers deemed it necessary. I've metered out all the window wiring to and from the BCM. The main window switches are connected to the BCM and then the BCM controls the windows for the auto down feature - and what ever else...........

I'm open to suggestions regarding the holes in the door trims.
    I'm sure there must be a blanking grommet or plug that'll do the trick.

PS. The Max Ellery Commodore Manual 1997 - 2004, VT, VX, VY doesn't show the correct window wiring for the VY - maybe it's only for the VT and or VX.

6. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    Sorry if this is a little off-topic.

Does your Max Ellery manual show any wiring diagrams for the interior dome light? If so, you reckon you could send me or post up the relevant pages?

I mainly want to know where the wires run, and if they have anything to do with the dash light circuit, headlight switch, BCM or anything else. I'd appreciate any help...:thumbsup:

7. smyth

smyth New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive
    whats the auto down feature?

8. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Hold the window button down for about 1.5 seconds and then let it go and the window will continue down by itself............

davey g-force likes this.
  9. Got a VY

Got a VY Guest

Hi there.
    Just wondering do you have the plug in the center console to conect the switches.Today i whent out and got the full power window kit and my car dose not have the plug under the center console.By the looks of things the hole wireing loom under the seats have to be changed.The bloke gave me a kit out of a VX that he said was the same but the front plugs on mine are the same as the back plugs that come out the doores??? and these are diferent.
    And what is a BCM

PLease help its diveing me nuts:bang:

10. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Yeah, the plug for the main switches is under the console in my car and so is the wiring for the power relay.

When I checked the door looms in my Crewman, the fronts didn't have the motor/switch wiring but the rear doors did have it fitted. The door looms I bought were marked as being from a VX and the main connectors are the same but the motor connectors are different. I only need to change my front looms and I'll just change the motor connectors in the rear doors.

BCM is a Body Control Module. According to the "Max Ellery" manual, the BCM is connected to things like :- Cooling fan relay, Headlights, Interior Lights, Remote Receiver Module, Wipers, A/C, Climate Control Module, Stereo, Power Windows, Central Locking, Theft Deterrent System, SRS module and probably a bunch of other stuff.

Did you get the BCM with the kit ? If you change the BCM, it needs to be coded the car and then you'll need new key remotes because they can only be programmed once.

11. Got a VY

Got a VY Guest

mate this sounds like its about to go into the "to hard basket" lol
    No i didnt get the BCM.All i realy got was the arms with the motors and the looms in the doores.So realy 1/2 a kit.Just got out of the gaz and realised the plugs at the front on the doores are totaly diferent to the ones on the loom i got.I think i might just wire them up manualy with out all the crap.i worked out most of it but i dont have the console buttons to work out that bit.You dont have a pick of the bottom of the console swiches do you.If you did i could work it all out and so we dont have to wory about all this other BCM stuff.

12. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Yeah, I'm considering removing control from the BCM and wiring the windows as a stand alone system.

Attached Files:

13. Got a VY

Got a VY Guest

well by going off that drawing it should be verry easy to wire up.The 2 fronts are verry straight forward its just the power feed to the rear ill have to check up on.Ill see if i can get my hands on the switches tomoro and if i do ill work it out.

14. Got a VY

Got a VY Guest

also do you no what colour the power feed wire is.Going off my loom it will be
    Blue with yellow stripe or
    Green with yellow stripe.
    White with black is normaly earth and the blue and green goto the motor.
    Oh hang on
    thid might sound funny but is it posable the power feed is a negative triger??

15. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    The power feed from the relay under the steering column to the main window switch is Orange/yellow.

FR RH window - Blue/white and Green/black
    RR RH window - Blue/yellow and Green/yellow
    FR LH window - Green and Blue
    RR LH wondow - Blue/red and Green/red

Power feed to rear windows (from main switch) - White/black

There's no negative switching in the window circuits. The relay and the switch, switch the positive.

16. Got a VY

Got a VY Guest

o.k so there is one relay in the circuit and that is the power to the main switch wich is obvious and from what i am thinking there are no relays after the switch "one per window" as the switch dose the job for you.
    I think im starting to confuse myself :yeah:

17. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    You got it..............

18. Got a VY

Got a VY Guest

top stuff thanx for the help.The funny thing is i did this maney years ago in my VN but i dont think things where so complicated back then.

19. smyth

smyth New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive
    Hey Rowan what would you say all the components cost you?

20. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    4 window regulators, door looms, main switch - $350
    Still need rear switches, remotes and mid level BCM (may still wire it up as a stand alone system).