Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting factory TPMS (tryre pressure monitors) to a VE - can it be done?

M

mwb235

Fitting factory TPMS (tyre pressure monitors) to a VE - can it be done?

I have a MY08.5 VE Calais V (series 1) with HSVi 19 inch rims and Bridgestone tyres, and want to fit some sort of TPMS to my car.

Yes i do check my tyres regularly, i am not that lazy. But i want some sort of warning BEFORE one of the tyres fully deflates out on the highway for example (as has happened to me before). If i know about the problem when it gets down to 25psi i can stop well before the tyre is completely flat and destroyed. Anyone with low-profile tyres will appreciate how much new tyres cost.

So i've done a bit of digging online and have found some information on fitting TPMS. Here are some links to posts elsewhere i gave found...

Over at ls1: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

JC thread: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/tyre-pressure-monitor.228032

Interesting carmodder.com thread re changing VE/WM dash clusters: www.carmodder.com • Upgrading Instrument Clusters for the Holden VE Commodore

I have 2 options - (1) try and get the factory TPMS to work (if possible), or (2) fit an aftermarket system.

I like things as "factory" as possible so IF it can be done option (1) is my preference.

Enabling the factory-fitted option

From what i can find online, TPMS was only fitted to the WM Caprice & WM HSV Grange, and the short wheelbase HSV E1 GTS & American G8. Not sure about series 2. But i note that in engineering mode, my VE already shows four zeros for TPMS.

To get it to work on my VE, i am hoping all l need is the 4 genuine GM Holden wheel sensors/valves, and the TPMS option enabled with Tech2. I can't tell for sure if i would also need a different cluster/DIC (Driver Information Centre) or not - i'm hoping not though. The Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) - which every VE has - receives the signals from the wheel sensors, so that part is already there. I see some genuine tyre sensors on ebay for $75 each. So it'd be $300 plus postage, then whatever it'd cost for the Tech2 procedure. Here is the ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360305093258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone tried doing this to their VE?

Looking online i can't get a definite yes or no. Some say Tech2 can only enable TPMS on the E1 HSV models only. Others say yes you can, but no one has come back and said a definite "yes i did this to my VE and it works" etc.

As it seems a lot of others have, i have asked my local Holden Service Dept if they can do it and they just say "we have no idea, but if you bring your car to us with the wheel sensors fitted, we are happy to try". The catch is i have to pay for labour (fair enough) but it might take them all day (meaning big $$) just to find out it is not possible on my VE.

If i get a definite "no" on the factory system, that leaves aftermarket.

Fitting an aftermarket system

Personally i don't like the "Tyre Dog" system, where you basically just fit caps on the end of your tyre stems (i.e. no need to take tyres off) and have a small monitor/screen in the car.

I like the idea of fitting a system that interfaces with the factory headunit i.e. connects to the aux input. That way there is no need for a separate screen (i hate the look of windscreen/dash-mounted screens!) and it keeps things looking factory. The best such system i can find is this one from the UK...

Professional Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Think Safety Think Steelmate

Their TP-05 system costs £92.50 + VAT (i have no idea what % the VAT is) plus postage. Guessing £150 all up which is about $280.

What does everyone think?

Last edited by a moderator:

neevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon SV6
Can't help with the big question but UK VAT is 20%.

M

mwb235

Thanks neevo i guessed it'd be 17.5 or 20%. It's encouraging to know someone read that far down my post - i think i may have typed too much :embarrass: but hopefully someone knows...

captain_slow

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how you go with the factory option, I'd be interested to fit the system to my ssv ute, but seeing as you're a keen guinea-pig to try it I'll sit back and hope you keep updating the thread on your progress

M

mwb235

Yeh my gut feeling is it can't be done, otherwise by now there'd be heaps of stuff online & places advertising kits etc - the VE/WM come out 7 1/2 years ago now. But i live in hope...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Can't help with the big question but UK VAT is 20%.

VAT isn't applicable to overseas purchasers, only UK residents.

I buy quite a few machine tools and accessories from the UK.

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Hi Mate I agree with your comments regarding keeping things factory. I haven't done this but looked into it. Have a look at the GM Calibration website and enter your VIN see if under the RCDLR controller there is a option with or without TPMS. If yes then the controller / ECU will need a different calibration loaded onto it via tech 2 and the GM software site.

The workshop manual also calls out for a special calibration tool to "learn" the sensors.

Hope this helps.

neevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon SV6

Very good point!

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
Yes can be done. I have done to my 06. RFA needs to have tpms calibration flashed in. Cluster needs tpms enabled ( I actually fitted a E3 cluster as shows all 4 tyre pressures) and then tyre pressure sensors enabled and the linked to the RFA

M

mwb235

This shows how often i buy stuff from the UK. Of course, thanks guys!

Hi Mate I agree with your comments regarding keeping things factory. I haven't done this but looked into it. Have a look at the GM Calibration website and enter your VIN see if under the RCDLR controller there is a option with or without TPMS. If yes then the controller / ECU will need a different calibration loaded onto it via tech 2 and the GM software site.

The workshop manual also calls out for a special calibration tool to "learn" the sensors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I went to this site https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web and input my VIN. I assume RFA is the same as the RCDLR. Selected RFA/Programming/-GMLAN_B0_1 and it shows the following (this is just a cut and paste of the text from web page):

Tyre Pressure Monitoring: (drop down box)
Please select
Without TPM

Selected Options:
VIN: 6G1EX55748L146959
Badge: Holden
Controller: RFA Remote Function Actuator
Function: Programming
Hardware: -GMLAN_B0_1

There seems to be no "With TPM" option available. I assume that would be the purpose of flashing the RFA/RCDLR (i.e. if that feature was already there for my VIN it'd say so), yes?

Yes can be done. I have done to my 06. RFA needs to have tpms calibration flashed in. Cluster needs tpms enabled ( I actually fitted a E3 cluster as shows all 4 tyre pressures) and then tyre pressure sensors enabled and the linked to the RFA

That is reassuring to know. Just one thing but, did you do this before you fitted the E3 cluster, or after? I gather from what you're saying the existing cluster will work but has some sort of limited functionality (i.e. maybe just an audible warning and/or "low tyre pressure" on display only if a tyre goes under 25psi etc), whereas the E3 cluster shows a full graphic with 4 wheels like in the attached picture? (this is from an American G8)

Which E3 cluster did you use? Quoting from the carmodder.com link i posted above in my original post, here is a list of the VE cluster types:

• Type A Instrument Clusters as fitted to the Omega Models

• Type B Instrument Clusters as fitted to the Berlina

• Type C Instrument Clusters as fitted to the SV6 and SS Models

• Type D Instrument Clusters as fitted to the SS V Models

• Type D Instrument Clusters as fitted to Pontiac G8 Models

• Type B and C Instrument Clusters as fitted to Calais and Calais V Models

• Type E Instrument Clusters as fitted to the Statesman Caprice Models

• Type F Instrument Clusters as fitted to the HSV Short Wheelbase Models

• Type F Instrument Clusters as fitted to the Vauxhall VXR8 Models

• Type G Instrument Clusters as fitted to the HSV Grange Models

I thought since my existing cluster is a Calais V (type B and C) i'd need a Senator cluster. There only seems one cluster for the HSV SWB models, so i assume that i'd need a type F. So did you use a "type F"? (I assume the above list covers all VE/VE2/WM/WM2 and E1/E2/E3 models, but it may not.)

Thanks everyone for all the info. It looks like i might as well buy a set of wheel sensors (hopefully i may find some cheaper from the US) then try it on my car. I have a local mechanic (non-Holden) with a full Tech2 setup who likes a challenge so i might let him have a go. Might try and get my existing cluster working first, then depending on what it does, get an E3 one etc if necessary. Will post back here when i have the good (hopefully!) news.

Attachments

• G8 cluster with TPMS.jpg
    G8 cluster with TPMS.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,941
Last edited by a moderator: