Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting factory TPMS (tryre pressure monitors) to a VE - can it be done?

captain_slow

Reaction score
mwb235, would I then be correct if I understood that the SSV and G8 clusters are the same? And as such TPMS would be supported by it? Or would re-flashing still be required?

M

mwb235

mwb235, would I then be correct if I understood that the SSV and G8 clusters are the same? And as such TPMS would be supported by it? Or would re-flashing still be required?

I see your point. Looking at that list i posted it looks like the Holden SSV and Pontiac G8 both have "type-D". Obviously the G8 one has miles instead of km, so there must be some differences between the two. Probably just at the "software level" and dials with MPH i reckon, so maybe it's just a matter of re-flashing it? This is guessing but - i really have no idea.

I plan to get a set of wheel sesnors, then get my mech to use his Tech2 to see if he can get them to work. I'll post the results on this thread & what my existing cluster does (give me 4-6 weeks maybe, but sooner if i can).

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
In the event that a TPMS special tool and Tech 2 are not readily available, the following procedure can be used in conjunction with a valid central locking remote.

1. Turn ignition on.

2. Press the remote Lock & Unlock buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until LHF indicator is on and horn chirps twice.

3. Commencing with the LHF tyre, LOWER THE TYRE PRESSURE BY '5 - 15 Psi' (35 - 105 kpa) so the sensor transmits a signal. Then follow the vehicles INDICATORS around the vehicle to program in the tyre positions using sequence LHF, RHF, RHR, & LHR. The tyre pressure will need to be lowered at each tyre to program the sensor. When each sensor is programmed the horn should chirp and the indicator will go out. The last sensor programmed will chirp the horn twice to confirm programming finished.

4. Reinflate tyres to correct pressure

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
I don't think that will be enough. Not 100% sure but I think you will still need the tpms tool to activate the sensors Then you can do what is posted above to learn them to the correct position

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Wouldnt this only apply to systems that already have this setup like the Caprice and HSVs?

In the event that a TPMS special tool and Tech 2 are not readily available, the following procedure can be used in conjunction with a valid central locking remote.

1. Turn ignition on.

2. Press the remote Lock & Unlock buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until LHF indicator is on and horn chirps twice.

3. Commencing with the LHF tyre, LOWER THE TYRE PRESSURE BY '5 - 15 Psi' (35 - 105 kpa) so the sensor transmits a signal. Then follow the vehicles INDICATORS around the vehicle to program in the tyre positions using sequence LHF, RHF, RHR, & LHR. The tyre pressure will need to be lowered at each tyre to program the sensor. When each sensor is programmed the horn should chirp and the indicator will go out. The last sensor programmed will chirp the horn twice to confirm programming finished.

4. Reinflate tyres to correct pressure

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
The RFA needs to have tpms calibration loaded into it Then dash have it enabled.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
Yes, my above post applies to cars that already have it fitted.

R

replicator

Out of interest, I just used the Tech 2 to enable TPMS on the Calais cluster I have in my Omega. The pressures are all blank as the rest of the system isn't enabled yet.
Tyre pressure.jpg

The RFA menu in the Tech2 says TPMS isn't present (as expected)
If I put my VIN into the Delco tis2web page, 2 RFA calibrations come up, one with TPMS enabled, one without.
Reflashing the RFA module will mean buying a 2 day tis2web SPS subscription ($55 US as far as I remember)

Once I get my hands on some Schrader sensors it's looking like this is gonna work !

Last edited by a moderator:

captain_slow

Reaction score
Nice! If you were in Brissy I'd get the required parts myself and split the cost of the subscription with you..... And sling you a six pack of whatever your chosen drink is