Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting factory TPMS (tryre pressure monitors) to a VE - can it be done?

M

mwb235

This is looking promising guys great job. Can't wait to get mine working.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Out of interest, I just used the Tech 2 to enable TPMS on the Calais cluster I have in my Omega. The pressures are all blank as the rest of the system isn't enabled yet.
View attachment 170161

The RFA menu in the Tech2 says TPMS isn't present (as expected)
If I put my VIN into the Delco tis2web page, 2 RFA calibrations come up, one with TPMS enabled, one without.
Reflashing the RFA module will mean buying a 2 day tis2web SPS subscription ($55 US as far as I remember)

Once I get my hands on some Schrader sensors it's looking like this is gonna work !

Hmm, I'm playing around with TIS2Web at the moment. So I thought I'd have a play after reading this thread. Turning on the TPMS on my Senator cluster was fine, but I didn't get an option of a RFA calibration with TPMS enabled. The drop down box was there, but "without TPMS" was the only option. I don't have sensors or plan on getting any, just thought I'd see what happens since I'm using TIS2Web anyway. Rather odd.

bush_basha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
I don't think that will be enough. Not 100% sure but I think you will still need the tpms tool to activate the sensors Then you can do what is posted above to learn them to the correct position

Do they not activate with just air going In to them initially? What tool is needed to activate the sensors? What tool do you have if you don't mind me asking?

R

replicator

Here's some screenshots of what I get from tis2web
RFA.JPGrfa_tpm.JPGrfa_no tpm.JPG
Maybe check if the operating software is the same part #. If not, there might be differences in rfa modules in different model years ?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Well I had a bit more of a play with TIS, but don't get a "with TPMS" option. I notice your screen dumps don't show the part#, but I'm guessing they're different since we are showing different operating software. I get an option of which part# (about 5) if I go through SPS Info, none of which have a "With TPMS" option. If I go through the SPS programming using pass through mode I obviously don't get the part # option, but still no option to enable the TPMS. I should put my old cluster in and see if I can enable the TPMS on that to answer earlier questions. (The SPS method can't be used on the new cluster, but can program that with the Tech2 and security). There may be a way around this problem, but thankfully I'm not chasing TPMS, so I'm not going to spend too much time on it. Might do the RFA update and see if that helps, doubt it. Have to see if it's just the calibration that changes, or the operating software too. Anyway here's a few pics.
tpms2_zps3d67f9df.jpg
tpms3_zps41038cd6.jpg
tpms_zpsc7524c18.jpg

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Just as an update, I did the TIS update on the car. Now if I go back to TIS and look to program it, everything is shown to be the latest versions (that my previous pics show) but I still don't get an option of enabling the TPMS on the RFA. Everything else is the latest versions as well except for the HVAC (which I have an aftermarket, so didn't really want to do this in case), and the ECU. And as a side note, having an Alloytec that's done 110-120 thousand kays, I'm kind of happy to see that the timing chain stretch config hasn't been done (at least I assume it hasn't since that's the notes on the latest config file). At least I know there's been no issue with it.

Oh and with the cluster, I have the TPMS enabled on it. Though if I try to reprogram it through TIS, I get an error message there's no support for it. But I can do some programming through the Tech2 with the security enabled. So much easier than the eeprom method was (though now I see I definitely had that all correct). And of course the Tech2 never would have gotten the odometer done unless I zeroed the cluster first through the eeprom anyway.

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Not sure why my RFA hardware part # doesn't show up - I'm just using the free tis lookup page
https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web
rather than the full tis2web system. Should be the same info from the same database I woulda thought.

I'm about to order the sensors off ebay, might be cheaper from the US, but not sure I can wait that long :)

Once they arrive, I'll do the RFA, and maybe the ECM and TCM at the same time.
i learnt the hard way that you don't use TIS to try and update software on clusters (or other components) that weren't originally fitted to the car, lol

On a side note, anyone have a copy of techline TL 2380 ? One of the ECM calibrations is a fix for high oil consumption on the 3.0l SIDI. Mine seems to use a fair bit of oil, just wondering if if it's worth doing.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Dunno what's up with the part#. Basically I was logged in, but still using the same tis page you did for some of my looking up. If I just did the lookup on my VIN, I had to manually choose between about 5 or 6 part #s. But through the SPS it checked directly with the car when I had it hooked up. Maybe there were a few different suppliers pre SIDI? So i guess the TPMS is pretty easy to do on SIDI engined cars, but maybe not on Alloytec models?? I'd guess it can be done, but might need to program the eeprom directly (I'm assuming it's a setting on an eeprom chip).

Oh and yeah I knew not to actually use the SPS method on the cluster, and was pretty sure it would be fine just using the tech2 though. That is, changing settings with the Tech2 directly to the cluster and not changing files through the car/ECU via TIS which may get confused. But in any case I had the cluster apart changing the lighting last week so took a dump of the eeprom to put back on just in case. I believe I knew of the TIS/SPS problem from a helpful chap over at Carmodder. Pretty sure it may even have been from you. So thanks for the warning if it was. :) If I was smarter and more organised (more time would have been nice too) I should have done some dumps and made a changes one at a time. Could have figured out a lot of info about the code and then even tried a few other settings from other people's dumps.

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
You can program the RFA with tis even if not showing the option :). And Morris if you can wait will grab the tech line for you later

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
When I lookup my vin on the free TIS it has the with TPM option, so does that mean my RFA supports the TPM system and I just have to get it enabled with tech 2?