Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting factory TPMS (tryre pressure monitors) to a VE - can it be done?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
When I lookup my vin on the free TIS it has the with TPM option, so does that mean my RFA supports the TPM system and I just have to get it enabled with tech 2?
RFA has to be enabled, cluster has to be enabled (yes with Tech2 is easy) and the sensors matched. No idea about that matching bit, sounds like Holden may have to do it with a special tool from what I'm gathering reading this thread. Though I didn't think the manual said anything about needing a tool when replacing a sensor, so I'm confused.

You can program the RFA with tis even if not showing the option :).
Well you can. (And I'm not surprised, if anyone has figured this stuff out its probably you.) Is that like the using the wrong VIN to do modules originally from a different car? Thought about trying that, but I was worried about bricking the RFA as I'd be putting operating software on that isn't for my hardware, not just the calibration. Unless you can just get the calibration, but wouldn't think that would work as both with the same "TPMS OFF" setting use different calibration files for the different os. I didn't even look at the "program new" option on TIS to see how that works. I was starting to think it might be an eeprom program method, but then I'd have to hope it was stored on eeprom, and find someone to read theirs, do the change, and re-read, or find 2 people that could be bothered to do all that, one with and one without TPMS enabled and try to find the correct bit of different code (and all the keys and info would be different too if they're also stored on that chip, which by the way all the other modules work, I guess is the case). And that all depends if my hardware is even capable of connecting to the sensors, or is on a different frequency to what mine can pick up. Way too much stuffing about considering I'm not going to buy sensors anyway.

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Cheers for that Doubledip !

With TPM enabled in the cluster, there's 3 new options in the trip computer menu:
TPM on/ff
TPM warnings on/off
pressure units PSI/kPa
tpm options.jpgpressure units.jpg

Here's a tech2 dump of the RFA in my car:
Code:
ID 2014- 3- 2 VE and WM Series
Read ECU Identification
VE and WM Series
RFA (Multipurpose Receiver Module)
--------------------------------------------
Identifier 0601
Partnumber 25938218
Hardware Number 25938218
Alpha Code AA
Software Version No. C1 (Numbe 25896483
Software Version No. C2 (Numbe 25910227
Software Version No. C3 (Numbe 25938425
Software Version No. C4 (Numbe 92235970
Hardware Key Number PCG0STN#72
System Identification OMRON0400
ECU Diagnostic Address (Electr B0
TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring Not Present
--------------------------------------------
Software Version: 157.000

Bet the RFA is like the HVAC, where software to do dual zone is already in the MCU of the single zone units, just has to be enabled by changing a byte or 2 in the eeprom, likewise the RFA probably has the same software for all models built in, but options that can be enabled/disabled over the CANbus (such as TPM)
Pity the Tech2 can't do it directly without TIS - it can do other reproramming like changing an SV6 radio display to Atari sports gauges, or changing cluster options.

If I'm feeling brave, I'll try and pull the RFA apart and grab an eeprom dump before and after reflashing next weekend.
This thread is good timing, as I'm due for a new set of tyres anyway !I'll see if the local tyre place can put in the sensors at the same time.

With the sensor activation/learn, the service manual says there is a preferred way using a J-46079 (TPM diagnostic tool) and the tech2.
If these aren't available, it can be done by pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the remote and either increasing or decreasing the pressure on each tyre, starting at front left.
The TPM section of the manual is around 7 pages long, lots of info on the system.

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
When programming the RFA with tis2web there are different os's. So not 100% sure it's going to just be a byte change ( well mainly the ones that don't get the drop done box feature)

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
I've just gone ahead and reflashed the RFA in tis2web,programming time for the module was around 1 minute.

When reflashing is finished, all the remotes need to be erased and reprogrammed to the RFA module again- this is done by going into the Tech2 RFA programming menu, selecting erase and reprogram, press both buttons on each remote until the cluster beeps, and it's done.
(up to 4 remotes can be programmed for 1 car)

The cluster now thows up tyre pressure system faults, but the warnings can be turned off until the sensors are fitted.

tpm fault.jpgtpm startup fault.jpg

If both remote buttons are now pressed while the ignition is on, The horn gives 2 chirps and the front left indicator lights up solid, indicating it's ready to learn the first sensor.

The whole Headlining has to be removed to get to the the RFA in the Sportwagon - all too hard just to get an eeprom read.
Without knowing what's in the RFA, it could be either an eeprom or small MCU firmware file that was programmed. firmware size was 59588 bytes.

Might try and get one from a wreck to pull apart and see what makes it tick.

I'm planning on getting new tyres in a couple of weeks, so will let you all know how it goes with the sensors.

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Hi Mate,

How did you go with this?

I've just ordered 4 x sensors and going to try them on a MY12 SV6. Holden wanted $199 each for the sensors! Got the same part number from overseas for around $65 each.

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Yeah, hoping to get the tyres done this weekend or next.
I got my sensors off ebay and were described as new old stock. The seller said they were "probably" about 2 years old, but the date code on the bottom said they were made in October 2008 :-(
Guess I'm only gonna get 4 years use from the 10 year batteries now

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Just had a set of Continentals fitted at the local Tyrepower, and they fitted the sensors for no extra charge.

Activating the sensors just involved pressing the lock and unlock buttons with the ignition on,waiting for the 2 horn chirps, and letting about 3-4 PSI out of each tyre starting with front left. After the rear left was done, the horn gave another 2 beeps and it was done.

TPM_complete.jpg

When buying the sensors, have a look at the manufacture date on the bottom - they have a 10 year lithium battery installed (non removable) but might have been sitting on the shelf for years like mine were...

Update - I've confirmed tpm also works on the old level 1 Omega cluster too:
Omega_TPM.jpg

Last edited:

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
Excellent work! I'm keen to get this up and running in my SSV ute now!

I put a HSV cluster (a series 1, white casing cluster) in my ute, to get this working I dumped the contents of my old cluster eeprom, modified it then flashed it into the HSV cluter eeprom. Has anyone managed to enable the TPMS in the cluster by manually editing the eeprom? if so, do you know the hex addresses?

I'm also not sure about the RFA unit. When I look up my vin on the tis2web site it lists my rfa as "without TPM" so I assume I'm going to have to tech2 it. I'll see if the local dealer will attempt it, not sure if they will be very keen though!

Cheers!

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Dre,
no I'm not sure about the RFA either. Mine doesn't seem to be able to enable the TPM, even with Tech2. Well not easily the proper method. I don't doubt for a second doubledip can do it, but I didn't even bother trying since I never really intended to instal the sensors (at least until I need new tyres). Good luck getting a dealer to try if it isn't a simple drop down option on the link Morris gave. Haven't seen any eeprom dumps to see if it can be done that way, but I'm doubting it if it isn't a ready option on TIS (ie no info there to just switch on like there is on the cluster).
As for the cluster, I might be able to help on that one. I don't know at the moment, I'd have to pull the cluster out and take eeprom dumps. I might not get a chance to do it until the weekend, we'll see. Hopefully someone knows and can give an answer, otherwise I'll make the change and compare eeprom reads when I get to it. Still have my original SV6 cluster, so I'll test on it that I can do it via eeprom to make sure I don't give you dud info.

Morris,
love your work and info mate. Well done, thanks for sharing. :clap: