Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting factory TPMS (tryre pressure monitors) to a VE - can it be done?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Well I'm sitting out here with my baby. So I took a read of the eeprom on the SV6 cluster, put it in and changed to TPMS on then took another read. There were a few changes. When using Hex Workshop, does anyone know if there's an easy way to just list all the differences when doing a compare? Or do I just have to go through them all one by one and write them down? Sorry, only used it a bit, and that was a while ago.
Any way, this should be all of them.

Add - w/o - WITH
013A - 02 - 00
013D - C0 - E0
0142 - FD - DF
033E - 02 - 00
0341 - C0 - E0
0346 - FD - DF

You may notice that looks like little packets. so you could read it as change 013A-013D from 02 02 25 C0 to 00 02 25 E0 and 0142 from FD to DF (and repeat starting at 033E).

morris70 - How'd you do the Omega cluster? Unlike the little picture with 4 spots, on the SV6 I only had "Tyre Pressure" come up and one line under it. That was changing it with a Tech2. Same way I did the HSV, but it has that little "picture" of the car. Haven't read the HSV cluster yet, I'll see if it has some other values.

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
1 big! problem that C0 that changes to E0 that's what changed it but its in hex which broken down adds a lot of options.... you need to figure it out to understand how to turn on and of features in clusters.... as for the picture of car or just tyre pressure that's the difference between a E3 cluster/series 2 and the earlier

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Always trying to learn, which is the whole reason for doing this. Appreciate the help. So far have always gotten to the result, but then gave up eeprom when I got the Tech2. Now just getting back in to try and figure out what and why.

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
yes.. it has to do with a lot of options like nav, telematics etc... bit of a pain that they combined it ino the one segment but then makes sense once you figure it out... good job though

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Muke - what firmware versions are on your HSV and SV6 clusters ?

Both the Calais and Omega clusters I have are MY10 (very late series 1) and both have v2.08 firmware.
I have an older MY9 one with 1.14 firmware from a Berlina that I turned into a fake E2 cluster.(black back) I'll enable TPMS on that too and see if a car pic comes up or not.
All the reprogramming was done with the Tech2 - no need for eeprom fiddling this time !

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Ok, so I think I've made progress in understanding it a bit better. I got a little sidetracked there doing two things at once. As a completely off point side note, I just noticed in engineering mode, the HSV cluster shows the battery voltage and then the amount of charge left in it as a %. The SV6 only shows the voltage. Anyway, I noticed the part# was wrong and spent a bit of time working that one out. But I also think I now understand what you said doubledip. Thanks again. Now I just have to test that i do actually get it. I should be able to put some values in that I haven't seen before, but correctly predict exactly what will happen. Well for 2 more things, plenty more to go.

morris70 - ok, to sound like a noob again. Where'd you find that? Looked for a firmware version everywhere I could think of. Or do I have to look in the SPS side of it? Ones an MY08 SV6 and the other I believe is an MY08 Senator. Neither have been updated to my knowledge.

Big thanks to all for the help, and apologies to the OP for a bit of a hijack. Maybe I should be posting over on the relevant thread at carmodder?

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
If the cluster is in the car - go into engineering mode and the top line should say Software Ver, with the version shown down the bottom.

If out of the car, at the bottom of the sticker on the back of the cluster it will say SW xx.xx, where xx.xx is the firmware version originally installed when it was new.

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
Well I'm sitting out here with my baby. So I took a read of the eeprom on the SV6 cluster, put it in and changed to TPMS on then took another read. There were a few changes. When using Hex Workshop, does anyone know if there's an easy way to just list all the differences when doing a compare? Or do I just have to go through them all one by one and write them down? Sorry, only used it a bit, and that was a while ago.
Any way, this should be all of them.

Add - w/o - WITH
013A - 02 - 00
013D - C0 - E0
0142 - FD - DF
033E - 02 - 00
0341 - C0 - E0
0346 - FD - DF

You may notice that looks like little packets. so you could read it as change 013A-013D from 02 02 25 C0 to 00 02 25 E0 and 0142 from FD to DF (and repeat starting at 033E).

morris70 - How'd you do the Omega cluster? Unlike the little picture with 4 spots, on the SV6 I only had "Tyre Pressure" come up and one line under it. That was changing it with a Tech2. Same way I did the HSV, but it has that little "picture" of the car. Haven't read the HSV cluster yet, I'll see if it has some other values.

Thanks for this, I'll use this as a start to try and enable TPMS in my cluster. My cluster is a home made HSV cluster I made using a Berlina cluster, a bunch of white SMD LED's, a HSV facia and my old SSV needles :) Looks exactly like a factory HSV cluster and works the same. My cluster is a white backed one.

What is the colour of back of the clusters you are working with?

Cheers!

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
cheers morris70, in that case its 1.15 and 0.97 going by that. So both original to what's on the box.

Dre, both of mine are white backed ones. Makes it a little easier I believe. Now I don't think 013A and 033E are needed, just the others. To what depends on your car. Still need to run a check or 2 to see if I get it.

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
The MY9 black backed cluster (early model VDO) displays a graphic of a car in TPM like the MY10 ones do, so I suppose the lack of it in the non HSV white backed Arrow Australia ones is a limitation in the firmware.