Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting headers with manual steering rack vk

Webster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vq caprice 5ltr 304
Hi, has anyone out there fitted headers ( pacmaker, genie) to a vk with manual steering rack, 355 stroker with vn heads. Cheers

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr

Webster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vq caprice 5ltr 304
So there is no clearance issues, cause pacemaker and genie both advertise that they only fit with powersteering rack.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So there is no clearance issues, cause pacemaker and genie both advertise that they only fit with powersteering rack.

Power steering rack is the same diametre, except where it connects to the intermediate shaft......So if the pacies fit a power steer rack, with no clearance, you'll pee it in with a manual rack

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pacies will only fit manual rack setups & later vn-vs crossmember + power rack.

It's early vb-k powersteer/crossmember setups that have several issues.Where pipes curve away from sump it touches. top of power rack

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Pacies will only fit manual rack setups & later vn-vs crossmember + power rack.

It's early vb-k powersteer/crossmember setups that have several issues.Where pipes curve away from sump it touches. top of power rack

VB and VC cross members are identical, as far as rack mounting points....VH I am unsure about, but VK through to VS have the same cross member, as far as rack mounting points...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like VR V6 Pacies, mine has no more than 7-8mm clearance. Had to unbolt rack at the mounting points and move it to fit them. IIRC I think I also had to undo the right TRE to get enough drop.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Vl-n was when steering rack mounting points changed along with more compact power racks with better exhaust clearance.

Can say for certain vh & vk it's all interchangeable...only visual difference with manual intermediate shafts.

I've had vk crossmember + manual rack in vp ute...don't have manual intermediate yet to see it intermediate shaft uni's will allow to mix n match of parts.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Losh...extractors in v8 models looks hard,just tricky to do imho.

The genies in vp ute when it had v6 t5 looked near impossible by comparison.

KTMPWR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Vl-n was when steering rack mounting points changed along with more compact power racks with better exhaust clearance.

Can say for certain vh & vk it's all interchangeable...only visual difference with manual intermediate shafts.

I've had vk crossmember + manual rack in vp ute...don't have manual intermediate yet to see it intermediate shaft uni's will allow to mix n match of parts.
Hey sorry to jump on thread but you seem to know what your talking about! I have a vk with 304 stroker, has factory vk k frame and vh manual steer/shaft what headers would fit? Pacemakers? Thanks bruv