Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting HSV 195i 304 into 88 VL

AJ8001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Hi Everyone,
I'm sure these questions have been asked many times but I need help with my 88 VL build as I am a newbie to this. I have a 304 from a VT Clubsport that I want to put in my VL shell. The original engine was the RB30 manual.
The questions I have are:
1. Will the current K frame will suit or will I need to replace it
2. Not sure of the sump on the engine (was told just a commodore one) what sump will fit?
3. What engine loom/ecu should I be looking for i.e out of what model?
4. What manual gearbox would you recommend and what do I need to make it fit?
5. Based on the above, does it make more sense to find a wreck and if so, what model?
6. What other obvious problems will I run into?
I would appreciate any help you can send my way.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The questions I have are:
1. Will the current K frame will suit or will I need to replace it - No, you need a V8 one. A VN-VS V8 K-frame will also work, the V6 ones will not.
2. Not sure of the sump on the engine (was told just a commodore one) what sump will fit? - Yes.
3. What engine loom/ecu should I be looking for i.e out of what model? - Ideally you'd run it off the VT 195i ECU with a no-VATS tune. VN-VS V8 ECUs can also be used with a no-VATS tune - do not use ebay tuners for this.
4. What manual gearbox would you recommend and what do I need to make it fit? - See below.
5. Based on the above, does it make more sense to find a wreck and if so, what model? - Largely yes, or at the minimum a complete engine and gearbox with loom.

The two factory boxes are the T5 and Getrag, both V8 specific (you can't use the V6 boxes, and same deal for the automatics), but good luck finding them. I'm not sure if the VN-VS cable pedal box bolts into a VL, but it may be easier to get the Getrag's hydraulic clutch working using the RB30 pedal box. There are a few conversions that exist that mate the 304 to a T56 or TR6060 from Mal Woods and Castlemain Rod shop. You will need a custom tail shaft, possibly for the factory boxes too, and there are also some implications depending on which ECU you use - at least in the VR-VS they are gearbox specific because of the different speed sensor in the automatics, although I believe this can be worked around with a few electronic components.

Super brief, but most of the basic stuff is there.

AJ8001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
1. Will the current K frame will suit or will I need to replace it - No, you need a V8 one. A VN-VS V8 K-frame will also work, the V6 ones will not.
2. Not sure of the sump on the engine (was told just a commodore one) what sump will fit? - Yes.
3. What engine loom/ecu should I be looking for i.e out of what model? - Ideally you'd run it off the VT 195i ECU with a no-VATS tune. VN-VS V8 ECUs can also be used with a no-VATS tune - do not use ebay tuners for this.
4. What manual gearbox would you recommend and what do I need to make it fit? - See below.
5. Based on the above, does it make more sense to find a wreck and if so, what model? - Largely yes, or at the minimum a complete engine and gearbox with loom.

The two factory boxes are the T5 and Getrag, both V8 specific (you can't use the V6 boxes, and same deal for the automatics), but good luck finding them. I'm not sure if the VN-VS cable pedal box bolts into a VL, but it may be easier to get the Getrag's hydraulic clutch working using the RB30 pedal box. There are a few conversions that exist that mate the 304 to a T56 or TR6060 from Mal Woods and Castlemain Rod shop. You will need a custom tail shaft, possibly for the factory boxes too, and there are also some implications depending on which ECU you use - at least in the VR-VS they are gearbox specific because of the different speed sensor in the automatics, although I believe this can be worked around with a few electronic components.

Super brief, but most of the basic stuff is there.
That's brilliant, thanks. Given me plenty to think about. I was trying to find a complete wreck/donor car to save a lot of this hassle but they are hard to find over here so I jumped the gun buying the engine on it's own. Thanks again for the tips

AJ8001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
after market v8 engine conversions kits are common and you can get anything to fit a v8 into early commys v8 kframes are hard to get or they want ridiculous money so you can get v8 engine mount adptors to suit v6 kframes
https://www.tuffmounts.com.au/produ...-for-holden-v8-in-vn-vs-commodore-v6-k-frame/
The guy who I bought the engine off has a k-frame and wants around $600 I think. He did mention that the mount adaptors might make the engine more unstable as it sits higher? Not sure of this though.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep you'll either need k rame + engine & trans mounts from vn-vs or buy tuffmounts kit above.

Most of bolt on bits from vt will need to be changed or heavily modified which is people buy vn-vr donor parts for early girls as parts usually bolt on little to no modifications...you can use vs just electrical side of conversion for loom needs modding to suit if you know how to do it.

vs series 3 & vt 304 require most parts chasing & mods so least favoured.

Lots of info on forum if do search on builds etc

AJ8001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Yep you'll either need k rame + engine & trans mounts from vn-vs or buy tuffmounts kit above.

Most of bolt on bits from vt will need to be changed or heavily modified which is people buy vn-vr donor parts for early girls as parts usually bolt on little to no modifications...you can use vs just electrical side of conversion for loom needs modding to suit if you know how to do it.

vs series 3 & vt 304 require most parts chasing & mods so least favoured.

Lots of info on forum if do search on builds etc
Cheers for that. Sounds like I've picked the worst engine to put in but I'm sure I'll find a way.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
The guy who I bought the engine off has a k-frame and wants around $600 I think. He did mention that the mount adaptors might make the engine more unstable as it sits higher? Not sure of this though.
there more vn-vs v6 kframes than v8s that why they make the adaptors for but i be be grabbing that one for 600[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The guy who I bought the engine off has a k-frame and wants around $600 I think.
If it's from the VT it won't fit into the VL either as the VT is wider.

AJ8001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
If it's from the VT it won't fit into the VL either as the VT is wider.
Good point, I haven't actually asked him what it's out of.