Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting new air filter and thermo question.

Flange

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hey guys , sorry this is probably gonna sound like a stupid question, but....

Im going to change the air filter on the old VC 6Cyl tomorrow, like a cheap 10" chrome job or something but i was wondering what i have to do with all the hoses sticking out the mess of that stock setup in there?

Or are the hoses just attached to the air filter cover itself and will come off with it?

Also i want to get rid of the fan running off the motor, it makes way too much noise, ive heard a VT twin fan setup is ideal but i dont have the cash for that atm. Would a single thermo bolted to the radiator be enough to keep it cool, and if so what size should i be looking at?

Anyway thanks for any help :)

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Wat carby do ya have on ya VC? If it's a varajet u prolly won't find a chrome air filter for it. Only way to do it is change the carby or use the existing base plate off ur air filter and use a chrome top.

As for thermo's......I rekon mechanical fans are much better! Even on our race car, we bought it with a thermo and a mechanical fan, removed both, added a shroud and a clutch fan, and it ran a lot better! :thumbsup:

For the lousy few kw u might achieve going to a thermo, it's not worth it IMO...u prolly won't even feel a power increase. You said it's a bit loud, if it's a clutch fan, maybe u need a new one? They do start making a bit of noise as they get older.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
thermos are LOUD

at least mine are. that and the bloody electric pump i just fitted are enough to drive you nuts. its a good thing my cam keeps me audibly entertained at lights :)

you can always look at solid (un-clutched) lighter fans too. they have a tendency to bend after a while, thus making them useless, but they are shiny.

if shiny is what you are after...

p.s. buy a holley.

p.p.s if you do get a solid 'racing' fan, dont get your fingers caught in it.... take my word, im lucky to have the tips of two of my fingers cos' my mate took the fan shield (bit at the top) off. or get a good warning sticker. or dont drink beer and work on cars. or just get a better clutch fan. your choice.

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
i was also wondering if i could get a chrome air filter.. but i dont think i can with a heat riser tube and some other stuff in the pictures below that i uploaded.. any help?

pic 1 - i dont even know what that thing is haha

pic 2 - is where the heat rise tube goes underneath and some pipe going into the carbie from the top of the intake tube there..

ill prob post another topic on this tomoro

Last edited:

Flange

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Thanks for all the replys guys.

What I wanted the thermo was to reduce engine noise, but by the sound of it, mine might be playing up so ill go have it checked out before I go buying a thermo :)

Also no idea what carby is under there atm, ill strip it all down and give it a clean on the weekend and have a look at it. What choices do i have when it comes to carbys with the stock manifold? Or would that need changing too?

budgieVH - those are the hoses i was wondering about too

Sorry for all the questions guys, but thanks for all the replys!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, no one else has answered so i will give it a shot but may be wrong.

number 2 pic is i assume kinda like a choke horn, when vac is applid to it a little butterfly in the neck closes, so i am guessing it needs to be hooked to your choke system somehow.

number 1 pic is some sort of thermal switch which will open and allow vacuum from one hose to the other at a certain temperate.

i could be wrong. guessing both have to do with your choke system, other than that cant help. soz. i dont have a 6 cylinder :S

best bet is to put screws in the hoses if you wanna go aftermarket filter :) then just warm up your car manually. which is a bit boring, especially if your late for work.