Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting new drivers seatbelt socket.VZ commodore

Bonza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Can anyone help me i am changing the seat belt socket on the drivers side of my VZ commodore and i was told it could set off the airbag. Does anyone know if that's true and what i can do to get around it?

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Can anyone help me i am changing the seat belt socket on the drivers side of my VZ commodore and i was told it could set off the airbag. Does anyone know if that's true and what i can do to get around it?

The seat belt socket (receptacle) indeed contains the seat belt pre-tensioner assembly. If you don't have the correct instructions for replacing it and are not 100% confident working on the occupant protection system, I would strongly recommend leaving this job for an authorised dealer or mechanic.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Don't know exactly why you are changing the seat belt however, make sure that it complies with ADR's (Australian Design Regulations), should be stamped somewhere or have a tag fitted with specifics. To do otherwise will make your vehicle unroadworthy. p.s. don't use seconmdhand belt(s) as you have absolutely no idea what they may have been subjected to and could fail (for you) at a life threating time !!
Any (ANY) modification(s), unless approved to ADR standards, that change/alter/modify any aspect of your vehicle from the ADR standards/requirements that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL.

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
Don't know exactly why you are changing the seat belt however, make sure that it complies with ADR's (Australian Design Regulations), should be stamped somewhere or have a tag fitted with specifics. To do otherwise will make your vehicle unroadworthy. p.s. don't use seconmdhand belt(s) as you have absolutely no idea what they may have been subjected to and could fail (for you) at a life threating time !!
Any (ANY) modification(s), unless approved to ADR standards, that change/alter/modify any aspect of your vehicle from the ADR standards/requirements that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL.

Do you have this ready to copy/paste? I see it in almost every thread you post in, and no-one cares!

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If you've been told that you could set off the airbag, that's a heads-up worth noting, not likely heresy. It apparently isn't cheap to replace an airbag assembly (from how it was explained to me, once the airbags go off in the dash, that's it: all out and replace. Ditto the seat(s)) The SRS light that illuminates on the dash briefly when starting is a clue to interdependence of the seat belt assembly (all of it) with airbags, pretensioners and other safety features.

neephius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M A4
So that you don't set of the air bags remove the main fuse for at least 10 minutes. And isolate the negative and then the positive battery terminal.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So that you don't set of the air bags remove the main fuse for at least 10 minutes. And isolate the negative and then the positive battery terminal.

Congrats on using the search function, not so flash in realising the thread is almost 3 years old.

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
I did it recently.

Don't stress too mate.

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, waited ten secs and that's the ABS disabled. Disassemble the covers and replaced unit. Note: if there is a big yellow wire, this is the ABS control wire, disconnect that before you work on the seat belt unit.

It's bolt on and off, easy.

It's a simple bolt on bolt off process, easy.