Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting VE Skirt on too VY

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If the VE skirt is too long I’m happy the trim it down. It’s just if it’s too short then there will be problems with making it look good. I’ve done a similar job with putting a VF front on a VE but that was quite easy due to being basically the same car.

Yes that is a totally different job as the mounting points are the same VE to VF.
VY to VE is completely different mounting points and style.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You know why VT to VZ use pretty much the same shell and VE to VF use the same shell under all the plastic and exterior panels? Because it's easier for the desingers. Think about it.

H

harrop.senator

Gas soldering iron , multiple tips and some 2 part sandable glue that works with plastic like 3m panel bond or sika 4720? From memory

Have fitted (occasionally ghetto) spoilers and skirts from other cars. It's not that hard.

To do it right it's time consuming. I have helped a mate do really good work including ba on NC Fairlane , cut and shaped to include the mud flaps and a VT s lip upside down for the front.

I've fitted ba skirts to r31 skylines as well.

Anything's possible but for $ I'd be looking at those really ugly bolt on one's. I'm unsure if they look uglier then usual or if the shape just plain doesn't suit it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If the VE skirt is too long I’m happy the trim it down. It’s just if it’s too short then there will be problems with making it look good. I’ve done a similar job with putting a VF front on a VE but that was quite easy due to being basically the same car.

Unfortunately I'm not sure whether the VE is longer or shorter than the VY...So a good starting point would be to measure them and if it is too long, you know you have a good starting point...

Yes there will be problems actually fitting it and making it look like it should be there, but that is something you'll have to look at and decide whether you can do it or whether you consider it too hard....No one on here can say whether you are capable or not...

For what it is worth...I have fitted Torana flares and rear spoiler to an XB when making it into the big bopper car from mad max....It was challenging making them look like they should be there but I got there in the end

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
First simple step would be to measure VE ute between wheels, then you will know what the actual measurement is compared to your ute. Obviously measurement will not be the same as yours.

I’m happy to put the time and effort in to make it work but if it’s really that hard I might pass.
Sounds like you have no fibreglass/plastic experience to do any mod, not hard to learn and anybody can do it. Worth the time and effort if you like that look and you learn a new skill for other plastic mods.
May I suggest another way would be to alter add modify your existing skirts to look like VE skirts. Go to wreckers, get second hand skirts to practice on, keep your originals on ute in case you run into issues.

Reactions: Lex

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
You know why VT to VZ use pretty much the same shell and VE to VF use the same shell under all the plastic and exterior panels? Because it's easier for the desingers. Think about it.
Also the designers not " desingers " based vt to vz utes same as wagon chassis, saving time, however on the ve to vf the ute chassis wasn:t the same as wagon, maybe holden:s got new desingers :D

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Anything's possible but for $ I'd be looking at those really ugly bolt on one's. I'm unsure if they look uglier then usual or if the shape just plain doesn't suit it.

Can't imagine ones made from genuine skirts looking that much different. But yeah, nobody factors in their time, so for $300 it's pretty cheap (especially considering the only genuine skirts I can find are thousands) and will be far easier to make fit properly even if it's truly a "quality" ebay item.

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Can't imagine ones made from genuine skirts looking that much different. But yeah, nobody factors in their time, so for $300 it's pretty cheap (especially considering the only genuine skirts I can find are thousands) and will be far easier to make fit properly even if it's truly a "quality" ebay item.

Factoring in your own time only comes into play if you are considering selling them....If it's for yourself pricing your time shouldn't be a factor

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Factoring in your own time only comes into play if you are considering selling them....If it's for yourself pricing your time shouldn't be a factor

That is correct - within reason. You say that, but until you try DIY custom(ish) bodywork like this (particularly if you are inexperienced) you realize $300 is cheap for what you get, I know I'd rather take a massive shortcut in this case for a result that is probably going to be better and save myself a lot of cutting/shaping/sanding/mess. It's a totally different story for mechanical and suspension.

Just depends on how much time each person is willing to spend I guess, I know there's other stuff I'd rather be doing (and not doing) for that outlay on something like this.

Last edited: