Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FITTING VE SSV 19" on a VY ??

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
How you going mate... first up... any type of space or adapter is a big no-no... they illegal and in alot of cases fairly dangerous when you get the dodge ones.

Right... back to your main issue...

My understanding is that, the VE and the VY DO share the same stud pattern (5x120) but they do not share the centre bore or studs.

I know that the 12mm stud was used on the VY while the VE has a 14mm stud. So you need to be careful with the nuts you use.

Found this also:

Holden VE Commodore: production line at the Elizabeth factory in Adelaide.
When Holden introduced the all-new VE Commodore in August it changed some crucial dimensions of the wheel-locating system. This was done to avoid confusion on the production line (as the Holden factory will be building both new and old models for some time yet) and to cope with the new Commodore's extra weight, width and grip levels.

Holden sent the following statement to Drive on Wednesday: "Fitting VE wheels onto a VZ [or earlier model Commodore] is not recommended or condoned by GM Holden as it raises some safety concerns as there are two major differences in the wheels."

Holden said the VE Commodore has 14mm wheel studs and earlier Commodores have 12mm wheel studs.

"If a VE wheel were fitted onto a VZ [or earlier model Commodore] there is a concern that there would not be enough bearing area under the retention nut on the aluminium wheel, which, worse case scenario, means the wheel could potentially fall off."

And also this thread:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/64226-vz-vs-ve-offset.html

Hope that helps.

Quick question?.......can you change the wheel studs on a VYSS Hub from 12mm to 14mm so that you don't have to machine the rims?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Quick question?.......can you change the wheel studs on a VYSS Hub from 12mm to 14mm so that you don't have to machine the rims?

Machining the rims is a completely separate to the stud issue. The centre spigot of the hub is smaller on the VE compared to earlier models and thus the middle hole of the wheel needs to be machined out to fit over it.

With regards to the wheel studs, the wheel nut must have a contact patch on the wheel to lock correctly to the hub. According to the above post, a 12mm stud/nut combo will not provide a large enough area. This is common sense really - A 12mm stud fitting in a hole designed for 14mm will be flopping around like a **** in a sock and about as useful.

In order to fit these wheels correctly to earlier model Commodores, you would need to m/c the centre dia of the wheel out a bit and fit 14mm studs to your existing mounting hubs which is not a difficult job. (although I reckon there would be all of 2 cars out there that are correctly mounted).

Reaper

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Good point, thats what I needed to know & understand as I am thinking of putting a set of Genuine VE GTS 20's on my VYSS and the wheel stud issue seems pretty common sense to me.

So am I correct in understanding that most tyre places are able to machine the wheels to fit if I supply the 14mm wheel studs?

I would prefer to do it correctly so the wheels don't fall off.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Most tyre palces will be able to machine the wheels for you... yes... not sure about doing the studs for you.

But, in regards to the studs. I think you can get away with using a nut that will fit the 12mm stud but still has the correct clamping area surface...

The nuts are a cone shape at the clamping end so as long the the centre of the wheel is machined to fit properly... the job of the nut is to keep the wheel on the centre spigot.

Pretty sure wheel king can supply the correct nuts for this application.

Announcements

Hope this helps

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Most tyre palces will be able to machine the wheels for you... yes... not sure about doing the studs for you.

But, in regards to the studs. I think you can get away with using a nut that will fit the 12mm stud but still has the correct clamping area surface...

The nuts are a cone shape at the clamping end so as long the the centre of the wheel is machined to fit properly... the job of the nut is to keep the wheel on the centre spigot.

Pretty sure wheel king can supply the correct nuts for this application.

Announcements

Hope this helps

By rights you need the outside dim of a m14 nut however with a 12mm thread internally if you don't want to change the studs. You would need to investigate further, however knocking thru the studs, drilling a bigger hole and then fitting larger studs surely can't be hard???

Reaper

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
Good point, thats what I needed to know & understand as I am thinking of putting a set of Genuine VE GTS 20's on my VYSS and the wheel stud issue seems pretty common sense to me.

So am I correct in understanding that most tyre places are able to machine the wheels to fit if I supply the 14mm wheel studs?

I would prefer to do it correctly so the wheels don't fall off.

Genuine GTS rims are 20 x 8.5 front 20 x 9.5 rears.. good luck fitting those!!! :p