Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixable?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It'll push back in just fine, the fluid will just be returned to the res.

Yes but not but hand without the bleeder open. For this situation you'll require a clamp to push it backwards and also push fluid at the same time. Only with the system "open" will you be able to push by hand.

Also while we are here on this topic. I can not agree with using rubber grease on any brakes parts or seals. Every credible workshop / Service Manual will tell you to use clean fresh brake fluid as a lubricant during assembly. Grease of any type is considered as a contaminant and should not be used.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I can not agree with using rubber grease on any brakes parts or seals

I reckon this comment might get you the odd reply or two
Rubber Grease is specifically manufactured to be compatible with the rubber components found in hydraulic brake systems
Companies that produce these products like Penrite and Castrol, just to name a few, are a whole lot smarter than you and I when it comes to these products

Every credible workshop / Service Manual will tell you to use clean fresh brake fluid as a lubricant during assembly

I agree that you can also use fresh brake fluid for lubrication of rubber components during assembly
But if doing it this way, and only this way is what makes a workshop credible, we obviously have different views about what gives a workshop credibility

Grease of any type is considered as a contaminant and should not be used.

Regular petroleum based grease's should definitely not be used to lubricate brake system rubber components during an overhaul
Rubber Grease is absolutely fine and designed for this specific purpose

Maybe do a little reading on Rubber Grease and it's uses, it may just surprise you a little
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/rubber-grease#/
https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/cars/greases/red-rubber-grease.html

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also while we are here on this topic. I can not agree with using rubber grease on any brakes parts or seals. Every credible workshop / Service Manual will tell you to use clean fresh brake fluid as a lubricant during assembly. Grease of any type is considered as a contaminant and should not be used.

Nissan provided me with rubber grease in their caliper rebuild kit. Was actually pretty awesome stuff.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have made the mistake years ago of using too much rubber grease. Although it didn't cause any issues, there was a bit inside the caliper. Now when I use it i use the tiniest amount and smear it as thinly as i can.
Guess i have to wonder if automotive rubber grease is not meant for brake seals, then where else is it gonna get used? I have never used it anywhere but on brake seals.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't have any issues using it on any of the rubber dust seals etc. but all those write ups in the links that TM has provided don't say anything about using it with "Brake Fluid". I personally won't use anything foreign that comes in contact with brake fluid. Any other component that is rubber orientated I have no issues with. BTW I have a tub of Castrol's Red Rubber Grease and I use it all the time.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
and only this way is what makes a workshop credible

Hi Matt,

I was referring to books not workshops themselves eg. Service Manual or Workshop Manual, thus the terminology Workshop/Service Manual.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Hi Matt,

I was referring to books not workshops themselves eg. Service Manual or Workshop Manual, thus the terminology Workshop/Service Manual.

Apologies, that was my mistake...…
I misunderstood your workshop/service manual reference as meaning a "workshop or service manual"