Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixed - Key Won't Unlock Driver's Door

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Rs V6
It's so if anyone tries to break into your car the alarm goes off ???
if they smash a window no but if they open the door the horn will start beeping.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Well I had more of a fiddle with the lock. B***ger me it's fixed!
Thought I would do a how-to to help others. Sorry I'm an Engineer, not a Tradesman, so I worked it out by trial and error.
The photo shows the lock retention screw (small torx head). To access, remove the round plug in the side of the door, near the lock.
Unscrew the torx until the lock drops out in your hand.
20191008_150649_resized_1.jpg

When I played around on the workbench, I inserted the key and tried turning the lock. I found it turned by a gnat's amount when fully inserted, but obviously the key worked in the lock, or it would not turn at all. The lug that rotates with the lock barrel was impacting on the cage, stopping it rotating. See the photos.

20191008_150625_resized_1.jpg20191008_150634_resized_1.jpg
Seems the plastic piece behind the lug (keeps it tight?) had expanded over time, pushing the lug against the cage (will be obvious when lock is out of the door). Also small crack in the plastic part.
I filed a very small amount of metal from the cage to prevent the interference, and used silicone spray to help clean off the metal filings.
Reinstalled by putting back in place and tightening the torx screw, replace the plug. Works perfectly now with both keys.
Job done and glass of wine in hand (later on).

Fu Manchu

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slug powered VZ, Cross 8 VZ, VE Calais & ya mum.
Not throwing a like until you say what the wine was.