Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixed - Key Won't Unlock Driver's Door

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Hi - just discovered that my car keys (both) won't turn in the door lock, but are able to start my car (so turn OK in the ignition lock). So it is as though the door and ignition locks are different.
This is a series 1 SV6 so it is a simple key and I have had the car since 1 year old - ex Holden owned.
Never noticed this before, but my fob battery died, so I tried to unlock manually and became concerned this is a new problem.
Is there something "special" in the door lock I have missed?
Thanks for any help, advice, corrections before I trudge off to a locksmith.

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Exact same problem in my sv6, bloody car alarm started after i couldn't unlock it after a few turns.

Edit: Both keys work in the ignition but not the door. When I turn it counter-clockwise to unlock it, its sometimes gets caught for a second like the mechanism is stuck. Locking doesn't work either.

Double Edit: Clearing the gunk out of the keys and a little bit of fiddling fixed my issue.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The key(s) might be worn down by ignition use and might be past the tolerance of what the doors barrel allows because the door lock is pretty much never used.

The door could have been replaced(smash repair) and the barrel was never matched to the key.

You can try wiggling the **** outta it to try make it work but it is probably best to get a locksmith out to check it out.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Exact same problem in my sv6, bloody car alarm started after i couldn't unlock it after a few turns.

Edit: Both keys work in the ignition but not the door. When I turn it counter-clockwise to unlock it, its sometimes gets caught for a second like the mechanism is stuck. Locking doesn't work either.
I never use the key in the door lock barrel. But, I'd swear counter clockwise locks it.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
The key(s) might be worn down by ignition use and might be past the tolerance of what the doors barrel allows because the door lock is pretty much never used.

The door could have been replaced(smash repair) and the barrel was never matched to the key.

You can try wiggling the **** outta it to try make it work but it is probably best to get a locksmith out to check it out.
Yep, thanks @stooge
The second possibility is pretty much my thinking, despite being ex Holden at the time and sold to me as certified collision free.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I never use the key in the door lock barrel. But, I'd swear counter clockwise locks it.

That would be funny
ScientificJadedCivet-small.gif

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Haha, well I have never been able to unlock or lock it with the key so I wouldn't even know lol.
Not sure if both keys would be "worn down" in my case since the previous owner never used the second one.
My mate said he unlocked my car first try with my key and the car alarm went off anyway. Guess I gotta jiggle it around tomorrow to see what I can do.

XR WOT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS V V8
When you lock your car using the remote it locks the car & sets the alarm. When you use the key in the door it will unlock the door but does not turn the alarm off. So that's why it went off when your friend used the key. Why it worked for him & not you ?? One of life's great mysterious.

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
When you lock your car using the remote it locks the car & sets the alarm. When you use the key in the door it will unlock the door but does not turn the alarm off. So that's why it went off when your friend used the key. Why it worked for him & not you ?? One of life's great mysterious.
Thanks for that. I hate that it happens instantly so you cant even rush to the ignition to turn it off before its waking the neighbourhood up. I understand it wouldn't happen if i locked it with the key but goddamn its a hassle. Clearing the gunk out of the keys and a little bit of fiddling fixed my issue anyway. Once the car got unlocked/locked once using the key it was fine so i guess it was just a bit stuck after not being used for years.

Last edited:

XR WOT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS V V8
It's so if anyone tries to break into your car the alarm goes off ???
Get a battery for you key bro save yourself some Hassel.