Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixing Bodykit

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Alright.. so here's the deal last year I picked up a damaged body kit and I now have money and a lot of time to put towards fixing it, now i guess at this point I have to decide do it myself or pay a professional to do it - and im only talking the fixing part don't worry to much about primer & paint I have that covered.

Never fixed or attempted to fix bodykit before, I've done well done putty/sand/primer jobs on smell/medium dents on my car and they have come up brilliant i just need to know how to do it for body kit.

Do I just go out and buy a fiberglass fixing kit? or .. recommendations please!!!

And any cracks you see.. are right through cracks not, just small ones.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 458
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 259

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
on some of them u can grind out a lil bit so u can put in more fiberglass its more rooting around than anything, just google fiberglass repair and sumthing will pop up that makes more sence than the rest of us

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
yeah i did that, found a few things - i just wanted any feedback from anyway that might have done some work themselves that could pose useful but I'll probably put it all up in the garage this weekend and have a play... see how things go.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
mate reversed his ute into my rear group a bumper and punched a hole in it with the tow ball, i should have used fiberglass sheets with the fiberglassing paste, so its really trial and error

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Do I just go out and buy a fiberglass fixing kit? or .. recommendations please!!!

Basically, yes. On the inside of the bar where its cracked you need to grind all the fibreglass back a bit to clean it. Then on the outside of the bar you need to "V" out the cracks a bit also. Then mix up your resin and cut some strips of matting to a workable size (its easier to do several small pieces than one large one) to patch across the cracks on the inside and just wipe some of the excess resin into the crack on the outside. I'd recommend repeating this till you build up 2-3 layers of matting. Any imperfections left on the outside then can be sanded back and filled with body filler and high build primer as you've done before. Good luck with it :thumbsup: