Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fixing cruise control

blackness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
The cruise control doesn't work on my 96 VS. I don't think the previous owner had it working for a while either.

I've since found that the grey wire had snapped off near the ignition barrel and have now soldered it.

I can now get the CRS light to come up on the dash. However I can't seem to get the cruise control to work (over 60km/h).

I guess its one of two things either the servo has seized due to lack of use or more likely there are other wires broken inside.

Is it possible to rewire the cruise control section of the indicator lever and clean the contacts? (it looks pretty sealed to me)

Can you also disconnect the indicator wiring to allow complete removal of the indicator lever? (much easier to rewire/solder outside the car)

any help would be great, thanks

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Before you go pulling it apart any further, check the switch block on the brake pedal (also clutch if you have a manual) it may be stopping the cruise from turning on. On our Stato you had to put your foot behind the brake pedal and pull it back towards you and then the cruise worked. I adjusted it up so you need to push the brake pedal about 3-5mm to turn off the cruise now, just enough that the brake light isn't activated, but still turns off the cruise. Hope thats whats wrong with yours too.

blackness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Thanks 94 Stato V8

I will definatley give that a go first!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If that doesnt work and you need to get at the stalk wires, it comes apart by prying on the part nearest the column and then each side of the stalk down near the switch.Heres how demonstrated on one that was broken off the mechanism from a wreck.

Attachments

• cruise stalk.JPG
    cruise stalk.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 427
  • cruise stalk2.JPG
    cruise stalk2.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If you look at the small printed circuit board in the stalk for the cruise control there are 4 wires that can break in time (simple continutitytest end to end)and 3 tactile switches which can be sourced from jaycar and you can get the switch apart easily....no need to get a new one ..just fix the old one

blackness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Thanks everyone for the great info.

I am hoping to have it sorted in the next week.