Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixing Stone Chips

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Hi again.

Just chasing some quick advice on best way to fix stone chips on my front bar and hood. Ive bought some colour matched paint from Autobarn and touched them up in the past and while it looks better than white chips on a red hood its still noticeable up close (and if you're OCD like myself)

Tips? Tricks?

Thanks in advance

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Repaint properly....ie, add new paint to the bonnet and front bar, making sure you overlap onto the guards so it doesn't look obvious

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
I'm farrrrr from a professional painter. I was more talking about touch up instead of redoing the whole hood

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Unfortunately, that's the only way to do it properly....

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
use a tooth pick with your touchup.

the paint will 'sink in' when it dries, even if you put a big drip on it, itll still sink lower than the factory paint, so you need to add a few layers over the space of a few hours/days. you wanna keep building the touch up till the last coat dries a little higher than the factory paint, trick is you need to build it all while getting as little as possible on the factory paint cos it makes it easier on the next step:

then once its had a little while to go-off properley (a day or two), 3M make little adhesive discs of 2000 grit sandpaper that you stick on something flat like the bottom of a ciggie lighter or something. so you wanna sand it WET, its gotta be real wet and be very very gentle. the touch up paint is usually acrylic **** so itll clag your paper up really quick so keep cleaning the paper on your jeans/t-shirt and keep the touchup wet. you only wanna sand the least amount possible until the paint you applied is the same height as the factory paint and all the 2000 scratches look uniform (i.e same size/shape) and YOU GOTTA AVOID SANDING THE FACTORY PAINT! lol. you wont be able to avoid it completely, but try and keep your sanding focused on a 5 cent piece size or less if you can and DONT TAKE IT TOO FAR!! lol. its easy to go through factory clear

once youve done all the spots and they look reasonable, cut and polish to a shine and youll barely notice them.

Last edited: