Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixing the god-awful rattle in the Driver's footwell

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
The fact is that in law if you purchased the product from a particular branded dealer, it is that brand that must warranty the product. When an issue is found with the build process that requires rectification, that local brand who sold you the product carry the liability in Australia to perform the rectification (whether a safety recall like the odd seatbelt thing in the back seats, or a secondary system like the stereo). Everything that was on the product when you purchased it must be functional and operate in the intended manner... so in my case, when the stereo system is lose and this is causing it to rattle (and in my case, spontaneously reboot), it is therefore not working to specification. NZ's law is a little less grey again and says that if anything is fitted to a vehicle that thing must function, so when doing a greenslip check (WoF they call it) if the guy finds a switch on the dash for your rear foglight (the extra fog light on the rear that euro cars must have) then even though we don't use it, that switch and fog light MUST function because it is there. (and before you ask... while my first degree was in ComSci and ElecEng... my followup degree and Masters are in Law - health and consumer law. Hence why I never got around to using my ElecEng quals in my working life. And while I could have jumped up and down and used my knowledge of consumer law to totally mess up some idiot service manager's day, in the end downloading the bulletin and fixing it myself caused me less angst. Most of those guys have so little intelligence that you just end up arguing with yourself. At the next service they will simply go back to wiping over your engine bay with an oily rag and parking your car out the back without doing anything and charge you $400, so why bother.)

The fact that Holden (and Buick) weighed in and decided that the rattle in the dash was something that should be rectified simply lends support to the fact that the dealer that I got the car through (and who were given the opportunity TWICE to rectify) should have been able to do what I did... download the bulletin, follow the instructions and make the customer happy by mitigating the fault. I shouldn't have had to end up with even more faults from a poor attempt at rectification (as someone suggested, by the dodgy apprentice) and I shouldn't have had to fix it myself. All that IS down to Holden and their dealer.

For anyone who is interested I will pop the plastic off where the headlight switches are, take out the number 7 bolt that holds the cover on the particular offending box and take a pic or two. The issue causing the rattle AND the stereo reboots was definitely that the circuit boards in that box are only supported at the very bottom by the two torx screws. Otherwise, they sit in that box totally unsupported, which means they basically wave in the breeze as you hit potholes or bumps, and they sway when you turn corners. I used to find that the stereo was more likely to reboot when I made a hard right turn (a U turn for example was almost guaranteed to result in the screen going out and then a rattle for the next few kms)

Last edited:

HZ Hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 HZ Panel Van 253 v8
Why isn't it selling, there must be plenty of people buying cars in this category, but evidently not the ZB?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Because most people have got the shits on with Holden for leaving the country and their Opel products over the years have never had a good reputation, so would you buy one ??? not me. I'd prefer to buy a Toyota nowadays especially after the superb run I've had with my 2001 2.7Litre Hilux Cab/Chassis ute. (RZN149)

BTW where can one gain access to Holden's Service Bulletins online ? as I was always of the understanding that they were for Holden Dealers eyes only.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Dealerships are an agent for the manufacturer. They dont back engineer the design process.

Might have to mention that to the dealer I returned my vehicle to for the good old seat base fix. After driving it home knew they hadn’t rectified it and upon inspection under the seat notice half a dozen or so new cable ties strapped all over it.
At least the spares I found in the passenger footwell they accidentally left behind came in handy for my tomato plants

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
. The issue causing the rattle AND the stereo reboots was definitely that the circuit boards in that box are only supported at the very bottom by the two torx screws. Otherwise, they sit in that box totally unsupported, which means they basically wave in the breeze as you hit potholes or bumps
Yeap.....so a build issue.

Any ham-fistedness in the process of getting the issue fixed for you doesnt negate the fact that GM put this through their engineering department and they saw fit to pass the design for road use.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Might have to mention that to the dealer I returned my vehicle to for the good old seat base fix. After driving it home knew they hadn’t rectified it and upon inspection under the seat notice half a dozen or so new cable ties strapped all over it.
At least the spares I found in the passenger footwell they accidentally left behind came in handy for my tomato plants

Score one for you then i guess? Which seat base issue was this? The side boulster trim popping off?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If the ZB develops a bad reputation for quality and the dealers treat customers with the slap-dash sort of service they are noted for, its difficult to see any improvements in Holdens future. Look at how their current range is faring. Commodore isn't selling well, neither is Astra or Equinox. Barina is gone. Only the Colorado has reasonable sales and the Arcadia is being promoted by some media as the true replacement for the Australian built Commodore. GM needs the Arcadia to fire, big time.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
F...ing ridiculous 'service ' and exactly how they got the 'stealership' tag.

Flushing themselves down the pan now that they've got nothing to offer except service. When they've finished flushing GMH they'll probably just go to another brand and rename the shop and keep on stealing.