Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FJ 60 running like a sh#t

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
my 2F petrol fj60 is all of a sudden backfiring out of the manifold and doesnt like to rev and stalls, what could be the problem, im getting new leads tomorrow as mine are fkd, and getting a new fuel filter as well

could it be a fuel problem maybe not getting enough, it seams to idle ok

all the vacuum lines a good and connected

drained the old fuel and put some fresh stuff in there

maybe carburetor needs rebuilding

and i suspect it has a blown head gasket as well,

any ideas what it could be? i like to get a second opinion before spending money

cheers.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
my old carbied hilux backfired and had rev/stalling issues when the headgasket went

Pretty common for the old toyota engines

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Compression test will tell you if the head gasket is blown bad enough to make it backfire. Might be just a blocked jet in the carby.

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Head gasket might have #### it self man

Kinng

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Alot of the time with the old carbied toyota engines if the headgasket is gone the head will sometimes be cracked/warped....get it checked before wasting your time replacing the gasket only to have to do it again.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
I remember it started to do this a day after I sprayed carby cleaner down it, but I don't think that would make it run like a pig, anyway I'll do the cheaper options first and hopefully that will fix it, thanks,

I'll put my air gun in the cylinder and see if there is any bubbles in the coolant,

A work mate told me to check if the carby fuel pump works so I'll check that out this arvo

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
If it started playing up after spraying carby cleaner down it, then you might have loosened some carbon from around one of the valves. I had a hilux with bad compression years back. When i pulled the head off i found that all the valve seats were carboned up from leaky valve guides dripping oil that baked on them, and when a bit of carbon broke off the valve would leak.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
i tuned the carby to give it more fuel and it seams to be ok now, maybe the carby cleaner might have loosen one of the adjusting screws on it and didn't put enough fuel into it ?

anyway ill get one of my work mates to give it a proper tune when i get it on the road