Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

flat battery due to extra demand from amps/subs

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have been running a fusion jonah lomah d class amp in the boot powering 2 power plant subs with a fushion power plant 4 channel amp powering a front set of xplod splits for about a year now in my vs calais and the demand has killed my battery:( i want to run an extra battery in the boot for just the audio gear & extra accesories (custom lighting ect) and the main battery in the front to power all the cars normal accesories like power windows remote locking trip com all that stuff. i think i may have already killed my amp as its not turning on anymore and it cost me $1500 from new:( (it just stoped working the other day) as soon as i noticed this i disconected all my amps and am just running the back speakers of the head deck now. But in future when i set up the extra battery in the boot is their a good battery that someone can recomend that will be able to handle the demand? the recomended voltage rateing on the D amp is around 13-14.5 volts would i need to replace the stock factory alternator with a higer voltage one to power the 2 batterys? and if so wil the extra charge damage my computer in the calais? i know its alot of questions but i want to do the job right any help would be extremely greatfull thanks!

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I have been running a fusion jonah lomah d class amp in the boot powering 2 power plant subs with a fushion power plant 4 channel amp powering a front set of xplod splits for about a year now in my vs calais and the demand has killed my battery:( i want to run an extra battery in the boot for just the audio gear & extra accesories (custom lighting ect) and the main battery in the front to power all the cars normal accesories like power windows remote locking trip com all that stuff. i think i may have already killed my amp as its not turning on anymore and it cost me $1500 from new:( (it just stoped working the other day) as soon as i noticed this i disconected all my amps and am just running the back speakers of the head deck now. But in future when i set up the extra battery in the boot is their a good battery that someone can recomend that will be able to handle the demand? the recomended voltage rateing on the D amp is around 13-14.5 volts would i need to replace the stock factory alternator with a higer voltage one to power the 2 batterys? and if so wil the extra charge damage my computer in the calais? i know its alot of questions but i want to do the job right any help would be extremely greatfull thanks!

At one stage i had two batteries and i wouldn't recommend it unless you upgrade your alternator. I had a isolater running in between so it would only charge the back battery once the front battery is full. Because the alternator could hardly keep up, the back battery was rarely fully charged so i kinda wasted 400bux on the back battery.
Buy a decent front battery like a optima yellow top and that should be enough for most. unless you like to listen to your subs for ages with the engine off or pump it hard all the way home.
http://www.optimabatteries.com.au/Products/Yellowtop/Yellowtop_Deep.htm

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
At one stage i had two batteries and i wouldn't recommend it unless you upgrade your alternator. I had a isolater running in between so it would only charge the back battery once the front battery is full. Because the alternator could hardly keep up, the back battery was rarely fully charged so i kinda wasted 400bux on the back battery.
Buy a decent front battery like a optima yellow top and that should be enough for most. unless you like to listen to your subs for ages with the engine off or pump it hard all the way home.
http://www.optimabatteries.com.au/Products/Yellowtop/Yellowtop_Deep.htm

thanks mate:thumbsup: yeah i just got off the phone to the guys @ autobarn logan city and they have also recommended the single yellow top battery as well! so @ this stage will give it a go (when i can afford to get one lol) and see if that does the job:) but he did say that they are not really desinged for starting cars or something? but if all else fails i will go ahead with the dual install.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
bah! my YT has 750 CCA... they may not be a genuine starting battery but they'll turn over most cars methinks.

Further, ensure your grounds are all good - upgrade the big three to some fat cable, and if you run adequate sized power cable you should be right without the need for a second battery

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
bah! my YT has 750 CCA... they may not be a genuine starting battery but they'll turn over most cars methinks.

Further, ensure your grounds are all good - upgrade the big three to some fat cable, and if you run adequate sized power cable you should be right without the need for a second battery

i am running all amps of 0 gauge wire and the same for the earths but when it was all hooked up and cranking all the lights in the car would go dim everytime the subs kicked so i think its to much on the stock chargeing system? i can see this costing more big $$$ again (sighs) also even though they arent designed for starting cars it wont wreck the battery will it?

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
The YT is a dual purpose battery my friend, so all is good:
Deep Cycle

Were are your amps earthed?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The YT is a dual purpose battery my friend, so all is good:
Deep Cycle

Were are your amps earthed?

Ontop of the rear wheel arch inside the boot. i got a power drill in there and cleaned away a small area back to the steel and conected it there with a gold plated connector.im worried my D amp might be damaged as it just stoped working:( i think it was because there wasnt enough charge in the battery to keep it going, i just hope she isnt cooked:( Thanks for the link though:thumbsup: now i have to save up and get the money for one of these batterys and hope my amp aint fried!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
go to battery world. they have everything

i bought a marine deep cycle 640cca for $180

i had the stereo running at 30/40 with 2 Subs off a big mono block.

it ran for about 5 hours, and then i could still start the car. charged it wen i finsihed and its all back to square 1