Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flexplate

Vncom91

Reaction score
I recently put a new motor in my car. I had to change the flywheel/flexplate from a manual to an auto.

Upon doing so and after bolting it all up i noticed the flexplate is hitting the starter motor casting and the teeth are just touching.. What have i done wrong?

Cheers

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
What is the motor and what is the flex plate you've used from. Are you using the auto or manuar starter motor?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
did you remove the torque converter from the auto?

might not have realigned properly and isn't sitting all the way back in, which is pushing back on the flex plate.

Vncom91

Reaction score
tried the starter motor from the manual and auto. Motor is from VS and so is flexplate. Motors identical but one auto one manual.

Bolted torque convertor up before installation so your theaory could solve it!

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Bolted torque convertor up before installation so your theaory could solve it!

Ooh, a very good chance this is your problem then. Back out with the gearbox... It's almost impossible to install it the way you have and get it right. Usually this way breaks the auto oil pump housing so you're probably lucky. When you remove the gearbox, first fit the torque converter to the gearbox over the input shaft. It goes on in three stages over the different splined shafts. Push on the first stage till it stops. Then rotate the converter left and right till you feel it engage the second stage and push on further and then the same process to engage the third step untill the converter cant go any further back.
Oh, and you'll need a new flexplate now too as that one will be bent. Make sure you replace it with a flex plate from a VS so the balance factor is correct.
Hope that helps