Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fluid coolers, how to?

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
Hey,
I just purchased both a trans cooler and power steering cooler off ebay.

I want to install the trans cooler in-line with the output of the cooler in the radiator.

1. Is there a kit I can buy to connect up to the standard connectors?

2. Does anyone know the best way to install it?

3. Do I have to remove the front bar?

4. Where do I connect the power steering cooler to the pump?

5. Lastly is this really something I should attempt to accomplish myself?

Thanks.

Also have unneeded brand new wide heavy duty kevlar band for 4L60E, 4L60, TH700 and maybe others.
Make me an offer, I am in N.S.W.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
trans cooler...
yeah you'll need to pull off the front bar
no idea about kits to connect, but it's just hoses and clamps, not hard in the least. mounting it is easy too, just a pair of aluminium straps screwed in top and bottom.it only weighs about 3kg full, so it doesn't need anything major to mount it

steering cooler, once you have it mounted, run the LP hose from the rack to the cooler to the res would be my guess. it's the action of going through the rack which does the heating, not going through the pump

by all means do it yourself. it's not difficult work. but there's a bit of planning position and drilling to be done, so make sure everything fits before you touch that drill

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
hmmmmmm.

I bought both coolers made by hayden.
They don't have any straps or mount or holes or anything.

I was thinkin about completely removing the air conditioning and mounting the coolers on the front of the radiator so the fan has a pull through cooling effect in dense slow traffic situations.

I have read somewhere that you shouldn't use rubber type hose on the tranny because it has been known to collapse or flatten like a cheap garden hose in the sun.

Any chance I can use the a/c hoses?
Coz they are alloy, aren't they?

What could I use to attach the coolers to the radiator?

Does anyone have any pics?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
have a look at any commodore fitted with the factory external trans cooler for fitment ideas. it would certainly be easier to do with the front bar removed.

for the power steering cooler, fit it between the return line from the rack before it goes into the reserviour. don't fit it into the pressure line going from the pump to the rack.

there is a pic of my powersteering cooler fitted somewhere in my ride thread (link below)

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
Man thanks for pointin me towards your ride, freakin awesome.
And then by freak accident I found Mortons blue VP "Well ill be ****ed" crikey, it was a bloody pearler.
Anyway the coolers I got are a lot like your twin pass p/s cooler, but mines a 4 pass ps and 8 pass(I think) tranny jobba.

I'm gonna go and take my a.c and towbar off and maybe start strippin my carpet and sound deadener.

7's here I come hehe

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Man thanks for pointin me towards your ride, freakin awesome.
And then by freak accident I found Mortons blue VP "Well ill be ****ed" crikey, it was a bloody pearler.
Anyway the coolers I got are a lot like your twin pass p/s cooler, but mines a 4 pass ps and 8 pass(I think) tranny jobba.

I'm gonna go and take my a.c and towbar off and maybe start strippin my carpet and sound deadener.

7's here I come hehe

Maybe a bit late, but I purchased the factory power steering cooler (optional for my VP p/n 92046985) And it goes perfectly, as for the transcooler, mine is factory with it mounted between the a/c condensor and a/c fan. So my guess is when my a/c is on its cold due to the 2nd fan being on.