Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

flush radiator VY V8

lowrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hi all

I want to replace the long life coolant , car is 5 years old whats teh best way to flush a VY V8 ? drain via lower hose ? any tips or tricks eg bleeder screws anywhere ? keen to get it done on the weekend want to know anything before i start

thanks

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
i want to do this to mine as well. i have a max ellerys manual, might have a look and see if it tells me. will scan it if i can find it.

lowrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Alright i done this this afternoon , easy as 123 ,no dramas :whistling
This is how i done it so I'll whack the steps in here to share:
1.undo lower radiator hose with pliers (at the thermostat housing)
2.drain coolant
3.remove thermo housing /thermostat (2x10mm bolts)this drains the block out
4.pressure(garden) hose in and flush block until clean water comes out
5.pressure hose in overflow tank ,keep there until clean water comes from the block
6.pressure hose in lower radiator hose ,keep there until clean water comes from block - all flushed
7. inspect then refit your thermo housing,lower radiator hose
8.fill reservoir tank with 5 litre bottle Holden long life (red) coolant -use the genuine stuff , then fill with clean hose tap water until cold level mark , start engine with heater on highest heat ,check for leaks,take for a short drive until operating temp , switch off ,check for leaks,let cool completely and recheck level to cold mark if required . All done
9. Have a deserving beer of your choice .

:w00t:

lowrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
not needed , i found out the ls1 have a vapor pipe attached to rid the engines of air so no need for any special bleeding .Run the heater on high as stated tho :thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
they have a header tank which is the highest point of the cooling system which eliminates the need for bleeding

lgr_lgr

lgr_lgr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1998
Hello,
When you say remove the thermo housing,do you need to glue in a new gasket for the thermostat?

highflya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY '03 SS
hey guys, i did a coolant change on the wknd. and swapped over to the green from the pink coolant. But i've missed a step inbetween. I didn't drain the block. What damage could possibly occur? Is it best to redo the coolant again?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Suggest you check the handbook for the correct specifications of coolant suitable for your motor. Possibly red !!!

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
red holden coolant is suggested, it is fully compatible with FULL alloy engine and wont have any negative effect like corrosion and rust.