Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fly by wire accelerator.. do LS models differ?

andypandy42

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L
Hey all,

So I've asked questions here with great success, just wondering if anyone can shed some light regarding accelerator pedals.
I have an 05 VZ LS1 Gen 3 out of a Monaro. I also have the pcm, loom, tac module etc.. However I need a drive by wire pedal to support the setup.

Are these pedals the same between models of LS1's? What in particular should I be looking for? I'm getting various part numbers from searching, so I need clarification!
I also need the loom which connects from the pedal to the tac module!

If anyone in Melbourne has one, and would like to sell it, that would also be great!

Thanks.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Andy
I don't have an answer for you unfortunately; however, I am faced with a similar problem. I have an LS1 in a VY ute that was written off after hitting as roo. I purchased a VZ shell that was missing the ECM and drive by wire pedal. After transplanting the running gear and getting an ECM from LSXtreme I have here running; however, I can't get the accelerator to work. I have not been able to locate a drive by wire pedal with the correct part number. I have tried a number of LS1 pedals (well reportedly so) but none of them are the correct part number and I can't track down what they are off.

I have checked the loom for continuity and the correct pins but expect that I may have the incorrect pedal. I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Tech 2. I trust this will allow me to diagnose the problem and get her on the road. F*****g frustrating.

If I find anything useful I will let you know.

Cheers
Jolls

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
VZ was the first model with drive by wire so a VZ Pedal will be the only LS1 based pedal you can use. I would assume a later model pedal is not compatible at least in a plug and play fashion, but I don't know this for sure. Are you using this engine setup in a VZ or is it in a conversion for another vehicle again?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Sandman

Not sure aboput Andy but I am using the setup in a VZ; but it doesn't matter what vehicle it is being used in if the VZ computer systems are being used. You are 100% correct that the only pedals that will work are those from a VZ LS1. The V6 and 6 litre V8 aren't compatible. I have purtchased two "genuine" 5.7litre VZ pedals with the same part number (92183447) - but neither of them match the part numbers I have been able to locate for the VZ (Part nos: 92210500 or 92189343).

The poor old girl is just sitting in the rain ATM waiting for the arrival of a Tech 2 scanner. I trust, touch wood, that the diagnostic ability of the Tech 2 may identify where the problem lies. If I could find a known working LS1 pedal I may be able to narrow it down by substitution of computer components. I have confirmed the harness is good and she starts but no input. Could it be the TAC? Maybe - maybe any of the down the line components. The one thing I am sure of - the fix will be simple (maybe just the correct pedal) and I will be kicking myself for not finding it early enough.

Cjheers

Jolls

andypandy42

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L
Sorry for the lack of response, I only saw the reply in my junk email.
The TAC module has to communicate with its specific pedal. The VZ had two variants of pedal, the sport and standard, both are different and aren't interchangeable with each other.

I've since converted to drive by cable and fucked the dbw system off completely as I'm doing an LS1 swap in a Porsche 928 and I need to control the kickdown cable with a cable anyway, so easier in my application. Finding dbw pedal is near impossible, there are some out there, however the price of them is ridiculous, and they are common to fail. Best option would be trying to get another ECU. Some of the VZ ecu's have the stepper motor control chip on board where you can flash a different tune on it, modifying or changing your current loom isn't that challenging once you have the pinouts!

I did alot of research into this, its a pain in the ass!