Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fly-By-Wire Throttle Complaints?

theautomationguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman Cross 6
Drive By Wire

Give me a cable any day if it gets rid of this lag. I hate being beaten by a loud 4 cylinder getto blasters. That never happend in the VS. What have I got to do to get this VZ to accelerate as quick as the VS?

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Having a cable aint gonna make your car any faster. If youre getting beaten its because your cars not quick enough simple as that. Nor does it make any difference in acceleration.

xcaluber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I do the heel&toe (manual box) thing when starting at a green traffic light on an incline. In other words, I let go of the break and press the throttle and let go of the clutch at the same time without rolling backwards. If there was any noticable lag in the fly by wire throttle, then this would have failed every time.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
xcaluber said:
If there was any noticable lag in the fly by wire throttle, then this would have failed every time.

Not true... Engine revs are electronically controlled by the ECU.

Like many have said, there is noticible throttle lag in the VZ (most likely due to the DBW).

People just need to understand it's not ACCELERATION we're talking about here but RESPONSE time from when you plant your foot to when the engine reacts. With a cable, it's INSTANT. With the electronic control, there's some lag. People either hate it or don't notice it...

xcaluber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
What I am trying to say is that if there was noticible lag, then you won't be able to do the heel & toe trick because the car will start rolling backwards before the revs can pick up enough to either support the car's weight or to pull off.

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Just a side note the lag seems to be heaps worse in the SV6 than the SV8 for some reason...

I keep stalling the 6, never stall the 8.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
i use to stall the vz for a while when i bought it also the fact its my first manual, but you get use to it and havent stalled for a good 10 months now.

S

Stoney!

I had a VZ SV6 as a company car, and when swapping it for the vy i jumped in the VZ and it felt strage, i thought i'll take it for a run round the block, touched the pedal to exit the driveway and thought this things ****en gutless then pedalled a bit more (all in a split second) and nearly shot the bastard over the medium strip

I couldn't work out why every time I took off it felt rough, and slow. Then one day i was coming down parra rd in the left hand lane, and the traffic had stopped so i darted into the right and accelerated, and nothing, then it picked up, straight awy it dawned on me what it was.

Now that i have left im looking for a commodore, but the throttle in the Z is the ony thing that turn me off, i loved everything else about it.

The Holden dealership said u can get them re-programmed to get rid of it and said it was basically an australian safety feature installed in them, but My BA XR6 never used to do it. The vectra still has a nice crisp throttle response, goes a lot better than the SV6 to even with 35kw less and the same weight.

The SV6 WILL NOT! light up the rears off the mark, not even with trac cntrl off the XR6 would quite easilly, but the commo, I couldn't even get a small chirp or a small one legger out of it, me thinks im going to have to grab a CDXi vectra.

Stoney!

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Its wierd because my SV8 doesnt have the lag, only the SV6 does and they are both DBW

H

Holden_Mechanic

yea there is a little bit of lag with the alloytec's when u spend all day driving VY's and VZ's u really notice the difference. in theory its supposed to be better. in reality?.....its worse.

very noticeable