Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fly wheel/starter thread issue

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hey guys,

recently my car hasnt been starting properly, the starter was a 2nd hand one i replaced 2 months ago (20/6/06 to be exact) anyway, 1/4 times the starter will spin, but wont grip the fly wheel, it makes a loud noise kinda like a ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound... ive been getting round it by opening the bonnet and pulling the fan belt until the crank turns alittle bit, then she starts fine,

the starter hasnt been making the best noises since i put it in, but i didnt have the $$ for a new one at the time, i also checked my fly wheel, it has some wear on it but nothing drastically bad, once the cars started its fine,

when it dosnt start the starter is spinning (i can hear it)

ive come to the conclusion that either a tooth on the flywheel is too worn for the starter(or several) or its the starter tread, which i think it might be...
has anyone got any opinions before i go ripping my starter out again to inspect the flywheel/starter tread???(gonna have to do it anyway)

anyway any help would be useful, cheers

anyone know how much a new flywheel is??? i dont want to replace it if i dont have to as its a BIG JOB

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
You might have threaded the bolts or housing when you put the new starter in. I had a Torana with a worked 202 in it and the starter wasn't meshing with the flywheel properly cause the starter was on an angle - the thread in the alloy where it bolts in had gone, wore out a big chunk of flywheel too from trying to start it HA HA. It started ok after I put some bigger bolts in, even with 2 inches of flywheel having no teeth. And it made a hell of a noise before I fixed it. Take the inspection plate off and get someone to manually turn the engine over so you can see if the flywheel has worn anywhere and check the starter is bolted in tight and straight. But it's probably a worn starter motor i reckon and slipping.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Yes the tranny will have to come out. I am not certain on the ring gear but most can be replaced instead of the whole flywheel. The main reason a certain section gets buggered up is the fact the engine will favour a certain position to stop. When we have been stuck on some bush jobs we have removed the ring gear & turned it on the flywheel so the starter begins engaging on a different spot. I am not saying that this is what you should do as a ring gear will only cost up to $100 and probably another $50 to get it swapped over.