Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Foaming VP

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Since it looks like I'm going to live a few more years yet after my recent/current health scare I've decided I have enough confidence in the future to put one of these up with out having to leave it half finished.

I can't upload any pictures since I have no space left :p but I'll tell you about what I plan to do over the next year or two and how fast it's going here.

Currently it is as follows

VP Executive with IRS
--------------------------------
304 V8
VS S2 CAI, opened several times wider than it was
Ported and smoothed stock throttle body
Home made tune
Air con removed to save weight
No body deadner in the boot
No rubber mats under the carpet
---------------------------------

Current performance is around 5.6 flat to 60 mph on a good day and 14.3 on the 1/4 mile on the gtech at full weight with a spare (would be a tenth or 2 quicker on a track due to be able to stall it up there).

Best time on the track before anything was removed to loose weight is just 9.8 at around 75 mph but I could not get it to stick on the track at all. No real matter though as I have enough mph to run 9.4 without a problem when/if it sticks.

Update: I went back the the track with different tyres and ran a 9.3 at 75.5 mph (have run 9.103 2 over 76 mph lately)
Very soon future mods are

Removal of all the body deadner and inside carpets
Corvette servo
3.45 gears and LSD
Twin cats, 2x2.25 pipes right through with VN headers

The gears should see a theoretical 9.3 on the 1/8th and the LSD should help me get that printed on the sheet :)
Update: I now expect these mods to get me into the very very low 9 second range(more updates I ended up with 9.103 still on the 2.5 catback but with 3.45s, I'm 100% sure it could have run a low 9.1 with the old sludged out insulated manifold and 3.08s with the lsd anyway)

The exhaust well I'll be happy to gain another .1 but will probably gain more than that.

After the exhaust is on I'll make a inlet manifold since I just started a job doing this kind of thing in a engineering workshop (handy). That was going to be a secret stealth version of the bananas with all hidden internal mods but now I figured well I'll be running two cats and the manifold will be fairly similar looking to the group A twin throttle (if I decided on twin plenums if will have a throttle on each side) so I may as well have it all out there in your face since I know and hopefully anyone that pulls me over should know it will pass emissions standing on its head.

After that will be home made headers, matched to the inlet length

That's about it, I'm looking to make over 180 rwkw with the stock cam and compression before I get too crazy with spending money on bought parts

As for VP Lukes request for a timeline I can give a rough version
Bought the car in March 2006 for $3700
At this stage it ran the 0-60mph in over 7 seconds

About a week later I removed the pod filter it came with and bought the factory CAI and modified it with a block of wood and heat gun to be much larger than stock, I also bought the VS series 2 airbox lid. At this stage there was still no 0-60 mph testing because the lighter socket wasn't working.
Cost: $80? Gain 0-60 mph I'm going to guess at least .2 over the pod but most likely more than that.

During the next week I removed the security plate from the ecu and soldered a socket into the memcal and stuck a Atmel 29c256 flash chip in there and burned myself a new tune. I also fixed the lighter socket :D. Now it was running an average of 6.2 to 60 mph and around 14.7 over the 1/4 mile.
Cost: $10, gain 0-60 mph about .6-.8 of second :thumbsup:

Soon after this I ported and cut down the shaft of the throttle body and did a few other old school mods for extra airflow. I would expect this to increase the airflow 15-20% and be worth a bit of power but at this time it showed no improvement. Clearly there are other restrictions in my car more...... restrictive :) but although it made no power at the time this kind of mod will show itself at a later date
Cost $0, gain 0-60 mph nothing

In about April of 2006 I took it to the drags (1/8th mile) fully expecting to run a 9.4 at 74 mph but my first run was well into the 11s!!!!!!!! due to smoking in wheelspin almost the full length of the track, I was very dissapointed. But I did learn to take off gently and managed to grandma my way to run a 9.8 1/8th mile at 74.4 mph

At about this time I lost my job and pretty much slept, ate popcorn and lentils and left overs from my wifes works and pretty much and starved my way through winter, I got pretty sick and run down and again like the throttle body porting this abuse to my body would show itself later on. I also discovered the VP had a hollow cat so I replaced that with a fully working one and it lost just a little poke, (about .1 on the 1/4 miles). The VP soon became unregistered and sat in the front yard over Winter and Spring.

I found some energy once in a while during my depressive days and pulled some of the aircon system out of the car and fitted a few rubbers to the suspension that I had sitting in the car since a few months earlier, I also removed the rubber mats from the front of the car under the carpet, the small towbar and the tar from the VP's boot. This saved me about 30kgs in weight and I figured I could now run a 9.3 1/8th mile if I could only get traction.
Cost: $0 gain to 60mph about .15-.2 of a second

During early Summer 2006/7 I got in a ****fight with some punks on the local forum for saying my VP had much more mph than any other stock/zoorsted 5 litre that had been racing so far that season and they all gave me crap for not being able to afford rego :) (bitches :ranting: )

Then one day I got a phone call from the Engineer that welded my old V6 manifold saying he wanted me to work for him :thumbsup:

So I slowly fixed up the VP, it took me two and a half rego permits to finally get it sorted and running at the same kinds of speeds it used to do and roadworthy and registered.

During this time I fitted the factory VN tube headers that I had cut open, cleaned up and then rewelded again they showed just about zero gain to 60mph (again I think these will show their true form later on :) ) but because of the weight I had removed earlier on the car was running faster than ever (5.8-5.9's to 60mph).
Cost: $50, gain to 60mph almost nothing or nothing

I actually paid my rego 4 hours before the drag meeting I had planed to go to months earlier and had only got about 5 hours sleep all that week because I had been getting my car ready after work and also helping my friend with his car at the same time. I also took the rest of the day off work and pulled the aircon pump off and changed the oil and taped up my CAI, then drove out the gate ran 5.76 to 60mph (a record time for the VP) then straight to the drags.... :) via BP to get some non idling straight fuel :|!

At the drags in March 2007, I ran a 9.3 at 75.5 on my first run, second run and a few other times during the night. The VP was much faster than all the other VN-S 5 litres there (They were all running between 9.8-10.2) so I was happy that I had achived the time and mph I thought it could do.

Current speed to 60mph is unknown but I hope to be able to run 5.6's to 60mph within 2 weeks time and am looking for a 9.2 1/8th mile but hopefully a 9.1 if the traction God is on my side again. A 8.9 1/8th mile is almost certain to give me a 13.9 1/4 mile so that's the goal when the next season starts in November 2007, I'd like to do that time or better on the first run of the night too and I'll be doing that time with the stock cam

The Shed
rez0001_1.jpg

The VP's office
rez0001.jpg

With the 17 inch wheels
IMG_2091rz.JPG

A couple of engine bay shots while I was testing blue tops, note the factory VN headers.
This makes up part of my home made exhaust system they almost look stock, but they have been cut into pieces,
smoothed on the insides enlarged at the flanges, then everything rewelded.

The gaskets were even made into budget anti reversion cones, You'll see this kinda thing all over my car if you look real close,
many hours of work went into just those headers:p but hey they still only cost me 50 bucks.

Also note the bosch spiral core leads (I also run cheap but good bosch plugs).
Just one more note! the throttle cable is now brand new : )
vp_engine.jpg

vp_engine2.jpg

The famous original CAI, attacked with a heat gun and a block of wood, it's still on the car
But I also have a undergaurd one these days
VSIICAI_FoamVP.jpg

This is after I ran the 9.3
vp_dirt.jpg

Here's a picture of the day I ran 9.203 with the BMW alloys on the back
vp_commodore_smoke.jpg

I like this picture alot :) just because VP executives with 304's, FE2 and IRS are R A R E
irs.jpg

And some videos of the car and it's performance as it stands today
First a playlist of recent races
YouTube - VQ Rat vs Greenfoam, VN vs VP
A recentish drive or two
YouTube - VP Commodore 0-60 mph, slighty damp road
YouTube - VP Commodore 0-60mph 5.66
And some older stuff
YouTube - Tuned VP Commodore vs Tuned LS1 Monaro
YouTube - VP V8 Commodore vs Skyline (VP 9.2 1/8th mile)
YouTube - VP Commodore V8 reving
YouTube - Commodore VP V8 Induction sounds

Best of all you really really need to listen to this mp3
I'd really like to show you the video but I rather keep my VP so I wont :)
SS Hunter Audio Version

Last edited:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ive got a pic of greenys vp somewhere, but cant find it, so heres a pic of his cai for now:

VSIICAI_FoamVP.jpg

Last edited:

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Bout time you got it up here Foam!!! Send Troy your pics and he'll upload them.

I see you're still enjoying your pipe bender and welding. Seeing as though your making your own headers.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
ace :)

I want to see a table/timeline of performance, money spent, and date :)

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
i wanna see pics of the beast foam, if you want you can send them to me & i will upload for you

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
Ahhh, ive been searching for your info on this thing. Sounds like a darn good toy. With the exhaust, diff, gears, lsd and weight reduction I reckon your times will dramaticaly change, especially off the mark :) . Keep on posting every little thing you have got on it.

Rick.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well performace mods so far and costage and performance are

CAI? untested but I guess .2 to 100 over the stock setup and more than that over the pod that was on it when I got it, 50 bucks

The tune is worth a at least half a second to 60 mph (that's tested back to back) 5 bucks

Stuff like the throttle body has done nothing yet since the restriction is in the exhaust but once that is fixed the extra airflow and power will show itself. Free
Weight loss, Free

I haven't gained anything from the weight loss from a standing start because the lighter the car gets the less traction I have so it's all equaled out if not made me slower!, it feels like it has more punch from a rolling start though, like it really shoves me back in my seat when I pass people on the highway now and it lifts the front end pretty hard if you give it heaps when cruising at 3500 revs in 2nd. I used to have perfect traction on most roads but now I can't get full traction ever :|

The VN headers were 50 bucks and the dual zoorst will cost me less than 100

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Why strip body deadener out of the car just for a few tenths....Why not stuff the running gear in the SLE ?

Last edited:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
foam needs a spool or LSD to help the traction issues i rekon:thumbsup: