Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Focal 165KR yay or nay?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Fellow JC audio enthusiasts,

I've recently purchased a 90 Toyota MR2 SW20 and am in need of getting a new stereo :D

My previous set up for my VS Calais was:
SoundStream TRC6N Components (200rms) with SoundStream SST-05 (100rms) replacing the tweeters running of a SoundStream TRX2.820 (250rms x 2). With a 12" Hifonic Olympus 2412 (2400rms @ 1ohm 12") running of a Hifonic Brutus 2608D (2600rms x 1).

I'm not into competitions, but I like my music loud.

I found that the TRC6N woofers were alright, nothing overly fancy, just had the handling power. The SST-05's seemed a little too harsh on the highs (probably because of tuning or placement) (is in top vent on the door).

Holdenboy, your setup is a SPL setup, what do you use for speakers? or is yours just for bass?

My budget is probably ~$700, maybe more if that extra bit of money is noticable. I was looking at the Focal 165KR's, they won 2009 award for under $1000. and Focal is known for it's SQ. I do like SQ but I do like it loud (im 21 hehe). I'm just not sure if they will be loud enough for me. I've heard them on the board at the shop, they sound really clear, I just don't know how they will sound in a car. Unfortuantely I don't know anyone with these kind of speakers.

Reason I picked the SoundStream TRC6N's was because they were rated at 200rms and were highly recommended in In-Car Entertainment for 2009 Awards under $1000. I know magazines are stupid because because speakers get in depending on who pays the highest but It was something I could start on. The 200rms took the cake for me. The Focal speakers are only rated for 80rms ... which don't seem like a lot.

Edit: Forgot to mention what music I listen to:
Dance/Trance/DnB - Maximum Bass, Ultimate NRG etc.,
Rap & Hip Hop - Tech N9ne!, Bone Thugs, Three 6 Mafia, 50, Hilltop Hoods, Fatman Scoop etc,
Metal - Rammstein!!, Old Linkin Park, Old Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machines, In Flames.
Other - Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift, Red Hot Chili Pepers, 3Oh3!, Black Eyed Peas,

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
As an SPL setup, speaker's aren't an issue, as they aren't used in the measuring process.

It's basically meaningless comparing speakers on paper, especially when you are trying decide which set will be louder.Persoanlly, i've found from previous experience, that i am likely to be less happy with an upgrade, than more happy.

My suggestion, considering the smaller cabin space of the MR2, compared to your VS as previous, i'd have to say go with the same speakers as your used last time.Atleast they will be a familiar sound to you, and the smaller cabin will have it's own gains to offer.Save the extra money, and spend it wisely on some sound deadning instead.Reducing some of the intrusion noise will also make a big difference for you aswell...

With your mid woofer previously, what high pass filter level did you have them set at once you added the sub?

Last edited:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
As an SPL setup, speaker's aren't an issue, as they aren't used in the measuring process.

It's basically meaningless comparing speakers on paper, especially when you are trying decide which set will be louder.Persoanlly, i've found from previous experience, that i am likely to be less happy with an upgrade, than more happy.

My suggestion, considering the smaller cabin space of the MR2, compared to your VS as previous, i'd have to say go with the same speakers as your used last time.Atleast they will be a familiar sound to you, and the smaller cabin will have it's own gains to offer.Save the extra money, and spend it wisely on some sound deadning instead.Reducing some of the intrusion noise will also make a big difference for you aswell...

I knew SPL was bass related, but I woulda thought that with all that bass for his daily he woulda had some decent speakers to keep up.

I used to have the Alpine Type R splits in the front and coaxils in back, but replaced them with the Soundstream stuff.

I'll get my doors inner and outter skins dynamated and probably remove the glovebox (for my box space) and dynamat under the rear windscreen to help try keep the engine noises outside (mid engine :D). I'll get Rockford Fosgate wiring all round aswell. Hoping to get a D34 YT - if it fits. and Alpine 9887 deck. Haven't thought about subs yet, I got 2x 10" Alpine Type S in there at the moment, so this will be the last to replace.

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Save your money on the Rockford wiring, the extra money you spend is not worth the gain.If you think it is, set it up to blind test against some cheaper wire, if you can tell the difference, then ofcourse, go with it, but my money say's you won't notice a difference.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Save your money on the Rockford wiring, the extra money you spend is not worth the gain.If you think it is, set it up to blind test against some cheaper wire, if you can tell the difference, then ofcourse, go with it, but my money say's you won't notice a difference.

It's cool. I can get 4GA Rockford kit for $170 and 0GA for $210. Think thats alright price. Peace of mind I got decent gear and I'm not going cheap on the wire. Blind test I probably wouldn't be able to tell, I'm one of those people if I'm spending decent money on some speakers and things, might aswell get decent wire aswell.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's cool. I can get 4GA Rockford kit for $170 and 0GA for $210. Think thats alright price. Peace of mind I got decent gear and I'm not going cheap on the wire. Blind test I probably wouldn't be able to tell, I'm one of those people if I'm spending decent money on some speakers and things, might aswell get decent wire aswell.

Wire is wire. Brand has nothing to do with it. Don't be suckered into brand name kits. The money you save can be better put into other parts of the stereo.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Wire is wire. Brand has nothing to do with it. Don't be suckered into brand name kits. The money you save can be better put into other parts of the stereo.

Anyway, regardless of wiring, this was thread was for the speakers.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
With your mid woofer previously, what high pass filter level did you have them set at once you added the sub?

Sorry I didn't respond to this part. I actually didn't do the tuning of the system, I left that up to Alberts because I got them to chuck it all in. (They decided to put the tweeter in the vents (because the wouldn't fit in the stock tweeter place)).

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
tech n9ne ftw!!

Thx for your very unuseful contribution on the speaker matter calais_cruzin. :banstick:

But glad to hear another Tech fan :smoking: