Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Focal 165KR yay or nay?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Anyway, regardless of wiring, this was thread was for the speakers.

Yeah trying to help you save money and give advice but hey if you want to be like that fine. :beer chug:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Sorry I didn't respond to this part. I actually didn't do the tuning of the system, I left that up to Alberts because I got them to chuck it all in. (They decided to put the tweeter in the vents (because the wouldn't fit in the stock tweeter place)).

Ok, do you understand what a high pass filter is, and how it works? Because a lot of the time, people leave their speakers running in full pass, after adding a sub.Also, whenever you disconect the battery, you loose your current settings aswell.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Ok, do you understand what a high pass filter is, and how it works? Because a lot of the time, people leave their speakers running in full pass, after adding a sub.Also, whenever you disconect the battery, you loose your current settings aswell.

Yep I know what a HPF and LPF is, and yes I'm aware disconnecting the battery loses current settings - although my deck didn't have any settings set after the install, they told me they set the crossovers and amps for tat particular reason (now I don't know if thats a good or bad thing). From my understanding isn't it bad to not have a HPF set regardless?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Yeah trying to help you save money and give advice but hey if you want to be like that fine. :beer chug:

Sorry buddy, I had decided on the Rockford before. Thx for trying to save me money on that one tho, but like I said.. I'm one of these people that thinks a branded (Rockford) would be in some way better than non-branded (black and gold wire XD). I'll spend that extra $10 and have piece of mind.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry buddy, I had decided on the Rockford before. Thx for trying to save me money on that one tho, but like I said.. I'm one of these people that thinks a branded (Rockford) would be in some way better than non-branded (black and gold wire XD). I'll spend that extra $10 and have piece of mind.

Haha yeah cool. Focal splits with a decent amp = deafening. Even the basic splits are good. Don't forget they are 2 ohms though. Most amplifiers run 4 ohm.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Haha yeah cool. Focal splits with a decent amp = deafening. Even the basic splits are good. Don't forget they are 2 ohms though. Most amplifiers run 4 ohm.

Ah dang, see after all that you've helped me. Didn't know they were 2ohm.

Edit: The ones I'm after are 4ohm hehe. But I did notice that other ones were 2ohm :)

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can find 2 ohm amps that will happily run it. Keep it Focal. Have a look at the Focal Solid 2. Exactly what you need.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
You can find 2 ohm amps that will happily run it. Keep it Focal. Have a look at the Focal Solid 2. Exactly what you need.

Focal 165KR
Nominal, power handling: 80W RMS
4 ohm impedance
Frequency response: 60Hz-20kHz.

Focal Solid2
Nominal power at 14.4V @ 4ohm 2x75W
Frequency response (-1dB) 10Hz-60kHz

Isn't it slightly underpowering? I was looking at getting one with 90-100rms, so I don't clip the amp or overheat it trying to push it.
IT would be alright If I went for the 165KR2's which are 2ohm, because that amp runs 100 @ 2ohm per side.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a brainfade my bad. It's Friday. I have a set of the cheaper splits on the deck with 60W RMS running through them with no clipping etc. If you don't go stupid with the gain then it will be fine. Also the speakers that won the award were the 165KR which is 2 ohm. The 4 ohm set didn't.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I had a brainfade my bad. It's Friday. I have a set of the cheaper splits on the deck with 60W RMS running through them with no clipping etc. If you don't go stupid with the gain then it will be fine. Also the speakers that won the award were the 165KR which is 2 ohm. The 4 ohm set didn't.

?? Focal K2 Power speakers and subwoofers
Can you get them in both impendance?

http://www.avhub.com.au/Features.aspx?MagazineID=7&FeatureID=98 - It doesn't say 2ohm or 4ohm but does say 165KR not KR2. On Focal website it says the KR are 4ohm and the KR2 are 2ohm.

Last edited: