Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fog light switch

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
gday lads and ladies,

i recently purchased a holden stock foglight switch for my 1996 VS Equipe (foglights not standard) and fog lights, just wondering what is the most simple circuit i could scrounge up so that there is no bells and whistles(only on when the headlights are on), just an on/off circuit leading to the switch?

any help appreciated

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
can anybody help? need help asap

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well to have this setup (so they turn on / off when the headlights are on only) you'll need a relay. This is another way around not using a relay, but you'll need a different switch (one that handles 30A).
Heres a simple wiring description of what connections you need to make:

On the relay:
Pin 30 - Constant 12v power (ideally directly from the positive terminal of the battery, fused within 30cm of the terminal)
Pin 86 - Earth
Pin 85 - Output of switch (read below for the input of the switch)
Pin 87 - To your fog lights.

For the input of your switch you'll need to find a wire under the dash that has power when you turn your headlights on (the little instrument illumination lights are a easy source, theres one going to your cigarette lighter). Just tap into that wire and run this to one side of your switch. The other side runs to pin 85.

I know you wanted a simple solution, but really unless you wanna just bodgey it up by connecting the switch straight to the headlight wires (potential to blow fuses and fog lights wont be all that bright) then this is the best way to do it.

You'll need a 30A relay, around 8 metres of 12-14AWG power cable (to come from the battery - relay, to go from the relay to your foglights and a short peice for earth off the relay) a fuseholder and 30A fuse.

All that stuff can be bought from your local Jaycar or Dick Smith store....hell i think even S.C.A. or Repco etc will have this kind of stuff, should set you back around $30.

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
thankyou mate

much appreciated

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Do you mean on the relay? They are marked next to each terminal.

On the switch itself there should be just two terminals, if thats the case then it dosent matter which wire goes to which terminal. Is there a light on the switch?

Edit - OK give me 5 minutes i'll draw up a quick one ;)

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
its a stock holden fog light switch with 5 pins

and yes it is meant to light up when fog lights are on

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ahhh, OK then...well im not sure but by the sound of that switch it'll have the relay built into the swtich, cant help you there mate....dont know which pin goes where sorry ;)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
there are a few threads on here with diagrams, i believe a few sit in the how-to section..