Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fog lights hid conversion hsv vy

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Clubsport Y series 2
Hey guys. So I might be useless at searching but when I went to do the HID conversion on my Clubsport's fog lights today, I couldn't find anything, not even as much as how to change a bulb. And there's nothing in the user manual. So I thought I'd do a quick write up for anyone else having trouble. This is also my first write up and I don't know any technical terms or anything so bear with it.

First off you'll be best off removing the front bumper, gives you more room to play(3 screws under where the hood badge is, two on either side in front of each wheel and two bars connecting from the bottom of the bumper to somewhere under the engine bay(the screws under the car are easiest to remove) Sorry I have no pictures of this, but they're easy to find.
There is one power clip to the fog light you will have to disconnect to remove the bumper

Take out the fog lights, there are two screws on either side of the light and a nut on the top. To take them out simply push the unit forward. Mine was really stubborn so I used the back of my screw driver and hammered it out pretty easily.
photo-3.jpg
When its out, the back section twists off anti clockwise and pulls out. Be careful not to pull too hard, the wires are fairly short and you'll risk ripping them out
photo-4.jpg
photo-5.jpg
Disconnect the white cord by pulling it, then undo the wire clips holding the bulb in. The bulb should easily slip out
photo-6.JPG
You need to undo the little screw holding the black wire down and set the main unit aside
photo-7.JPG
Connected to your HID bulb are two short wires, a red and a black. The metal tips should already have small holes in them. You will have to make the hole on the black wire a little bigger using a drill. Its easier to start with a small bit and keep increasing the size until the hole is big enough to fit the small screw through.
The next step is to join the two black wires by fitting the screw through both holes and screwing it back into the case. Dont fully tighten it yet, and make sure you remember to put the metal clip back in(easier if you clip it in)
photo-8.JPG
Put the bulb back in. The wires should be free to move out of its way since you haven't fully tightened it yet. Once its fitted, you can tighten the screw
photo-9.JPG
The next step(this might be better performed before joining the black wires, but I did it in this order), is to drill a hole in the back of the bulb housing. The manual says to drill a 25mm hole so that the rubbery thing seals the back of the bulb housing. But there just isn't enough room for a large hole.
My way around this was to drill a hole exactly the size of the gap between where the wires come through and the side wall. Make sure you cut from the inside out to avoid accidentally hitting the wires.
photo-10.JPG
Connect the red wires then feed the three connection wires through the hole you just made. Chances are the largest one wont fit. But a small hole made with a drill bit makes enough room for the edge of the clip, and it will fit.
photo-11.JPG
All the wiring should look like this. There is no where near enough room for it to sit in the housing. Your bulb may also be too large for the back housing to screw back on, this can be fixed by twisting it so that it doesn't sit in its groove but it will stay held in by the clip. The back goes back on the same way it came off.
photo-12.JPG
I'm sure theres a prettier way of completing the next step but I didn't really care because no one will ever see it. I sealed the housing with electrical tape, right up to where the rubbery bit is.
photo-13.JPG
After this, its just a matter of getting the fog light back in the same way you took it off and mounting your ballast(I just mounted it on the bottom of the bumper)
And putting the bumper back on.

This is my end result. The foggies are a little bluer because they're not projector lights, but they still look good!
photo-14.jpg

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Nice write up. How do the lights perform? Do they put out enough light to be useful - or does the light just scatter ?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm curious, why did you do this to the fog lights? Fake foggies as fitted to the Commodores have to be the least focused you got.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I'm curious, why did you do this to the fog lights?

This is something I've thought about doing myself. I can't speak for the op, but my thinking is that the 'fake foggies' are no use to me - if I could spiff them up and get some functionality out of them as driving lights (switchable only with high beam) then there may be some benefit. Of course, they are unfocused, and low mounted - but if some value could be had it's better than what they do now.

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
The light isn't scattered, it's a massive help. I'll try and get some photos tonight of the light. The HIDs in both headlights and fog lights make a HUGE difference. The darkest roads are totally illuminated. Fog lights added a wider scope to the light, didn't add too much to forward vision(headlight HIDs take it far enough), I only really changed them for the look. The dull yellow look was terrible, it's worth a little $$$ to spruce it up a bit. If I thought I'd ever need to use high beams again I'd change them too. They're a little redundant now :D

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Before conversion
photo-15.JPG
By the way. I have some white LED parkers coming. I'm not leaving them yellow. Ha

JacksHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Each to their own.
Maybe he had 8000/10000k, starts to go blue then purple. 6000k are about as white as you can go. And it's 1000x better than yellow/orange.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
And it's 1000x better than yellow/orange.

To an extent. On a long clear road, than yes it is. In the rain on in fog or with lots of big signs around, no its not.