Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fog lights soon to be illegal... apparently... (SA)

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
So a mate of mine was pulled over earlier in his Celica, the cop mistook his parker lights for fog lights and cautioned him that at the end of this month (SA), all fog lights will be considered illegal by the fuzz. (Something about a $160 fine, my mate was kind of in a spin, and wasn't making much sense.)

My first thought was 'why do they make cars with fog lights here in Australia if they're such an issue...'

My second thought was 'what kind of idiot do you have to be to mistake a parker light for a fog light...?'

So, I'm just putting this out there, can anyone from SA confirm this? Discuss! :)

Also: I don't have fog lights myself, nor have I ever felt I needed them, but it'd be a handy heads up for those who do have/do use them. I'm sure most of us don't need the extra attention.

hellbound

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn Executive
these rules came in like last month. a mate of mine got a $180 for haveing them on.

psirx7

Reaction score
If you drive with them on in adverse weather conditions such as bad light,rain or fog you cannot be booked.If you are driving around on a fine day then expect to be booked. If they are a factory fitment they would have to pass adrs or Australian Design Rules to be put onto a car during production.If its factory fitment or option then it is not illegal to have them.It only becomes illegal in the way that you use them.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm pretty sure you could have 500w spotties fitted to the front of your car if you really wanted. Just as long as you don't use them around other drivers, you'll be fine.

plains203

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
I am guessing it would be the same thing as using high beams inappropriatly. However if he got pulled over because the cop had mistaken his parkers I am sure they weren't on when he was cruising along :) so maybe there is more to this all. This sort of thing should have been advertised well before now to. LOL I was just thinking of installing some driving lights on my car for extra illumination on the dirt roads :p

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
yep im pretty sure its a $160 fine here aswell, mate almost got done for having them.....
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because of the LAWLS later :)

*waits for stealthy and the other guy who always argue's with him about this subject*

norman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL calais S1
The new laws for SA are that they can only be switched on during adverse weather or at night. If you have them on during the day they will book you. If you get booked at night or in bad weather then appeal the fine.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
At the end of the day, it's all about the lawls. :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
My friend was fined for using his foggies on his GSI Barina, this was in QLD though, and that was about 5 years ago i reckon, SA must be pretty behind with it's laws you guy's are lucky.