Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Foot well floor separation

Lowcroozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE 5.0
Hi guys, I need to replace the front passenger footwell section due to the dreaded c word..and need some advice on how to separate the floor pan from the frame which cam with it when I bought it - which in turn I'll have to do the section in the car too. Any advice and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi guys, I need to replace the front passenger footwell section due to the dreaded c word..and need some advice on how to separate the floor pan from the frame which cam with it when I bought it - which in turn I'll have to do the section in the car too. Any advice and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Warning...Before starting make sure there are no wires/tubes under the floor area you intend to work on.
You may also have to clean out bitumen/mastic/seam sealer before starting cause fires arn't much fun.

This where your panel beating skills have to come into play.
Look carefully and you will see spot welds.
Get a spot weld drill bit and drill them out, same applies to the existing floor.
You will also need to cut the existing floor in order to take the new panel.
When the new panel goes in place dress it as best you can then these drilled holes get welded to the frame.
You can then get someone to hold the dolly inside while you dress the panel from under.
I did a lot of these on HQ-HZ and overlapped the floor pan by about 20 mm then welded with a mig.

Lowcroozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE 5.0
Thanks rambunctious...I'm no panel beater but I'm sure i can have a go at removing the floor section to allow the new section to be welded in.

Thanks for the info..